Gear leg fairing mounting without wheelpants

Discussion for Sonex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

Gear leg fairing mounting without wheelpants

Postby Fastcapy » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:06 pm

-----
Last edited by Fastcapy on Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

Re: Gear leg fairing mounting without wheelpants

Postby mike.smith » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:35 pm

Fastcapy wrote:I am making my gear leg fairings however, I see on the plans that it says the pin goes through the the wheel pant. However, how do they stay in place if I do not have wheel pants on for grass strips and when it snows (which will be coming soon here in WI)

Also, I have heard about people using a split, 2 pin method to secure them. Anyone have pics of how they have done this?

Thanks!

You can see a bit of it in the bottom picture here:
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_l ... 4552&row=7

I just cut the center of the fairing at the rear edge, and made a pin going from center up, an one going from center down. You will need some other way to keep the fairings from rotating on the gear, and from sliding up and down. Some have used an adel clamp with a tapped tab, to take a screw that goes through the back of the fairing and into the tab. I haven't done that yet so no pictures. I tried using a piece of piano hinge to attach the top of the fairing to the underside of the fuselage, but the forces on the fairings were just twisting and bending the hinge, so I removed that.

The BIG issue I have had with the fairings is no matter how short I cut them, they keep moving around and gouging the bottom fuselage skin, and gouging the wheel pants. Since you don't have wheel pants, that end won't be a problem.

Mike Smith
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby radfordc » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:07 pm

My leg fairings are attached to the bottom of the fuselage with short lengths of piano hinge. No attachment to the wheel pants at all.
radfordc

Postby planeolbob » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:55 am

planeolbob

Return to Sonex Plans