Bending upper firewall. ?

Discussion for Sonex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

Bending upper firewall. ?

Postby SNX1542 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:15 pm

Trying to bend the 3/4" flange on the upper firewall. Can't. Tried to make a form and roll the edge over, NOPE!

Can't find a solution for this.
SNX1542

Re: Bending upper firewall. ?

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:24 pm

I assume you are scratch building. My kit part had a ton of flutes. Not all were perfectly positioned. If I were scratch building I would put grooves on the edge of my form blocks and use a thick round screwdriver handle to shrink the flange into the grooves. That was how I made my hummelbird ribs. Somewhere I have a picture. If I can find it I will post it. You start tapping down and the flange goes crazy. Then you tap in some flutes and it gets tamer. I always finish with fluting pliers.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby gammaxy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:32 pm

When you say "upper firewall", I assume you are talking about the firewall piece with the hole for the filler neck and the windshield/cowl attachment.

I scratch-built my fuselage but ended up buying all the firewall pieces from Sonex (it was actually cheaper than buying the minimum required raw stainless steel). The big curved flange on top came bent from Sonex. I just had to reposition some of the flutes. If I scratch built this piece, I probably would have sandwitched the piece between two form blocks and pounded the flange down.

Are you actually talking about the rectangular lower firewall? Jeff Shultz's site shows how he did the flanges on that:
http://www.sonex604.com/firewall.html
Chris Madsen
Aerovee Sonex N256CM
Flying since September 2014
Build log: http://chrismadsen.org
gammaxy

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:12 pm

If I was scratch building:
http://www.titaniumjoe.com
Some of my former Sikorsky coworkers were disappointed that I didn't sell the stainless and buy ti.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby SNX1542 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:04 am

Thanks guys. It's the stainless piece with the filler box on it F17-03

I am scratch building. I tried the sandwich route, whacked it with a mallet and it bounced off. LOL. Tried a hammer and it too bounced off leaving a nice scratch. Think I'll have to buy it. Was so looking forward to be ing it so I can assemble the forward fuse. Thought about fluting and bending with a pair of pliers but that would just make a mess.

Oh well.
SNX1542

Postby rizzz » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:35 am

Are you sure you've got the correct stainless steel grade/thickness?
I do not remember having any issues bending the flange over the form block with a mallet:
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_l ... 50&row=109

It was almost as easy to bend/cut as aluminium, drilling on the other hand....
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:17 am

I agree with Michael. It is easy to bend. My kid bent mine up for me.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby falvarez » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:27 am

SNX1542 wrote:I tried the sandwich route, whacked it with a mallet and it bounced off.

I scratch built mine and this was what I observed at first as well. You just have to use quite a bit more force than you did w/ aluminum (hit it really hard) and it will form a nice edge...mine came out great. It was a bit more challenging to do the flange for filler neck section...for that, hitting over a form block didn't work for me, I just used some seaming pliers and bent it over a little at a time.
Frank Alvarez
Sonex #800, Aerovee 2.1
Scratch Building (working on Cowl)
falvarez

Postby Sonex1542 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:29 am

I'm sure it's correct. You'd be surprised how difficult the SS is to bend at .016 HH. Seems flimsy but its not. Today, I'll try to work it over then. Hitting it in the form won't do a thing except chip apart the mallet. I'll grind down the face of a pair of plyers and use those as a seaming tool. Give it a go, nothing to lose, it's been done before and no reason I can't do it :D
SNX-794. Formerly SNX-1542
Sonex1542

Postby Sonex1542 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:03 pm

Just wanted to follow-up on bending F-17-3 Upper firewall. Form bending like the ribs won't work, or at least didn't for me. I suggest grinding down flats on a pair of vice grips. Then folding over the stainless till it deflect, the flats will prevent marking up the shiny metal to a great extent. Then fluting, and some more bending. Worked like a charm! Thanks all for the motivation to do it myself.
SNX-794. Formerly SNX-1542
Sonex1542

Next

Return to Sonex Plans