GPS antenna location

Discussion for Waiex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

GPS antenna location

Postby wingnut99 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:20 pm

I'm hoping to avoid placing the GPS antenna on the turtle deck outside the plane. Has anyone had success putting it under the cowling?
wingnut99

Re: GPS antenna location

Postby GordonTurner » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:59 pm

Popular place seems to be on the glareshield ubder the windscreen. Cowling is fiberglass so that should work too. Some of the RV guys do that.
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby NWade » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:09 pm

GordonTurner wrote:Popular place seems to be on the glareshield ubder the windscreen. Cowling is fiberglass so that should work too. Some of the RV guys do that.

My Sonex still hasn’t had its first flight [grumbles], but I’ve done extensive testing in the driveway and centered on the glareshield seems to work well.

The glareshield area is also where we glider pilots tend to place GPS antennae in our Sailplanes, since drag is TheDevil(tm) and GPS don’t work so good through carbon fiber. :-P

Take care,

—Noel Wade
Sonex #1339
(stuck in paint and with a cracked canopy)
NWade

Postby wingnut99 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:24 am

Thanks for the feedback. I wanted to put it there and thought it would probably work but I was concerned whether the canopy bow would obstruct the signal from behind. We do have a very shallow angle on the huge windshield so that must make enough difference over what a conventional airplane has.
wingnut99

Postby pfhoeycfi » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:15 am

Has anyone put 2 gps antenna on the glareshield? I have one for the MGL MX1 EFIS and one for the MGL SP6 for the ADSB. The lit says mount as far away as possible from another gps antenna but doesnt give an indication of what that D is. Has anyone had difficulty with the windscreen bow being directly above the gps antenna?
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Postby racaldwell » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:46 am

Yes, my RV-6 has two GPS antennas on the glareshield about 3" apart. They still work fine.

My Xenos has two close together but I am not yet finished building. They are mounted under the glareshield with a fiberglass access plate above them. That way there is no reflection of them on the windshield.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057
racaldwell

Return to Waiex Plans