aileron balancing

Discussion for Waiex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

aileron balancing

Postby wingnut99 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:58 pm

I installed the counter balance on my right aileron last weekend and suspended it from the piano hinge and it was exactly a 1/2" deflected like the plans call for except deflected down instead of up. So my weight is a tad light. There's nothing in the plans that addresses that situation. Apparently they are usually heavy and deflected up too high and require drilling out the excess weight. All I can figure is that in cutting the lead on my radial arm saw that the kerf of the blade which seemed to be slinging quite a bit of debris combined with the hole I drilled for the bolts removed more lead than what was required to balance it. I didn't weigh each half but they look identical when sitting side by side.
I found that if I placed a 2 ounce tire balancing weight across the assembly right above the outer bolt that it balanced with a 1/2" up deflection like the plans call for. I was easily able to attach the weight to the side of the bracket with the outer bolt and it seems solid. Obviously that remedy adds a tiny amount of weight but I'm planning to use 120 hp, so it's not a huge deal.
The question I have is does it really matter if the aileron is perfectly balanced at the hinge or would just making sure that the opposing aileron was counterweighted the same amount result in them balancing each other out when they are connected at the control stick? I can leave it like it is with the extra weight so it's dead on at the hinge and make sure the side is the same if necessary. I appreciate the forum's feedback. Pat Murry aka wingnut
wingnut99

Re: aileron balancing

Postby GordonTurner » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:35 pm

I would suggest that a critical aerodynamic issue be addressed to the factory, please share their wisdom.
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby Spaceman » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:40 am

I'm not the factory, but I think the important thing is that both airlerons are balanced the same. Once everything's rigged one can't go down without the other going up, so if they are in balance with each other that's probably what you want.
Chris Paegelow
N21YX / Waiex-B #21 / Roseville, CA
http://paegelow.blogspot.com/
Spaceman

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:58 am

Spaceman wrote:I'm not the factory, but I think the important thing is that both airlerons are balanced the same. Once everything's rigged one can't go down without the other going up, so if they are in balance with each other that's probably what you want.

The acro ailerons are heavier but use the same weight. Factory guidance is to balance them the same.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Spaceman » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:23 pm

Yeah I built the acro ailerons and they definitely sagged more than 1/2"!

https://paegelow.blogspot.com/2017/04/aileron-control-rigging-3.html
Chris Paegelow
N21YX / Waiex-B #21 / Roseville, CA
http://paegelow.blogspot.com/
Spaceman

Return to Waiex Plans