aileron installation

Discussion for Waiex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

Re: aileron installation

Postby mike.smith » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:43 pm

wingnut99 wrote: It looked like the weight would contact the upper and lower skin when the aileron is deflected in either direction. If so, is that a problem with it denting the skin outward?

Mine has done that for 5 years. No dents in the wing skin, though.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby wingnut99 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:00 pm

Thanks guys. I recall seeing a Sonex in this forum with clear nylon tubing running through the nose ribs. I have a bunch of pull string from when I buried 800' of conduit 3' underground to bring power from the road to the barn a few years back. I'll just slide that through some flexible conduit or tubing for later. I'm going to look around at Oshkosh and decide on what I want for lights and get them then. I'll be lucky if I get the other wing built by then.
wingnut99

Postby DCASonex » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:37 am

You mentioned using 14 Ga. With modern LED lighting for position, strobe and landing lights that may be overkill and added weight. Check out what is recommended for the lights you are thinking you may use. For some strobes, may even want shielded, but might us multi-conductor.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby wingnut99 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:07 pm

You're right, LED lights don't require many amps. I'll have to see what other Waiex and Sonex builder's have used and see what new designs might be available. With the slanted under wingtips it is kinda challenging to get a position light isn't somewhat hidden. I suppose it can be mounted on some kind of built out extension but there's probably someone selling a mount or light to remedy that. I've already looked at a few and figure out that no matter what you buy it'll be 10 times what it would cost for a different vehicle like a boat or a trailer.
wingnut99

Postby GordonTurner » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:50 pm

Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby N190YX » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:43 pm

You don't need to put a string in the conduit when you install it, you can to what the Electricians do and use compressed air to blow a string through the conduit when the time comes to pull wires through.
N190YX

Postby sonex892. » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:58 pm

N190YX wrote:You don't need to put a string in the conduit when you install it, you can to what the Electricians do and use compressed air to blow a string through the conduit when the time comes to pull wires through.

One of this electricians favourite tricks is sucking a string through conduit with a vacuum cleaner.
Steve
Sonex 892
Steve
Lazair kit 1981 sold
Sonerai 2LS plansbuilt 2003 sold
Sonex kit 2010
Sonerai 2LS project rotax 912
sonex892.

Postby DCASonex » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:20 pm

To get my combination position and strobe lights out where they can be seen, I used a mount from Van's that is glassed in place high on the slanted wing tip. Also have seen some complete wing tips with this incorporated from one of the LED light manufactures, i think might have been AeroLEDs.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby thomas » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:18 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:
With the acro ailerons you can't balance to 100%, i.e. aileron level.

Can someone explain the reason why it is called out in the plans to fully balance the standard ailerons (within 1/2" of level at the trailing edges) while the more massive acro ailerons do not require full balancing other than being consistent with the left and right's imbalance? I'm glad this topic came up now as I've built my wing boxes for the acro aileron option but, as I get ready to make control surfaces, I'd like to pause to understand the rationale on the balancing.

Thanks,
Paul
thomas

Postby Rynoth » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:54 pm

thomas wrote:
Bryan Cotton wrote:
With the acro ailerons you can't balance to 100%, i.e. aileron level.

Can someone explain the reason why it is called out in the plans to fully balance the standard ailerons (within 1/2" of level at the trailing edges) while the more massive acro ailerons do not require full balancing other than being consistent with the left and right's imbalance? I'm glad this topic came up now as I've built my wing boxes for the acro aileron option but, as I get ready to make control surfaces, I'd like to pause to understand the rationale on the balancing.

Thanks,
Paul

I can't speak to the engineering logic, but the plans call for it and I confirmed with Kerry (after sending my pics to them) via email that it was the way Sonex wanted it.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Previous

Return to Waiex Plans