Bending Rudder Drive Horn

Discussion for Waiex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

Bending Rudder Drive Horn

Postby BobLewis » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:09 pm

New builder that just started a Waiex B and I'm trying to make the 5 degree bend in the rudder drive horn. Any wisdom for a method to make a clean bend on this part?

Thanks!

Bob
Bob Lewis
Commerce, GA
Waiex B #22
N820BL Reserved
BobLewis

Re: Bending Rudder Drive Horn

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:33 am

Bob,
I have a few pics on my build thread like the one on this page:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=578&p=6035&hilit=Arbor+press#p6035

1) Choose a big honking bolt to give you the proper bend radius. Saw off the head or threads if required. You can use any round steel rod.
2) Make a jig. I used two pieces of oak screwed to plywood. I set them apart by the diameter of the bolt. This works for the angles we need.
3) A line down the middle of the gap is helpful for alignment.
4) I use scrap screwed down to the oak to prevent the part from twisting. This is important especially on the odd shaped parts!
5) Bend away! It is better to not bend enough, and need another go than to overbend and have to unbend. But, we have all done it somewhere I bet.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby BobLewis » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:34 pm

Thanks for the pics Byran. I had already tried something similar with marginal results, needed to beef everything up to keep the jig from bending instead of the part. Just wondering if someone had come up with a different solution. Whoever said building an airplane is supposed to be easy? :D

BTW, I like your assistant builder. I had one on an RV project but now he's an engineer in Denver and not much help even after the RV was sacrificed to the tuition gods.

Thanks for the help!

Bob
Bob Lewis
Commerce, GA
Waiex B #22
N820BL Reserved
BobLewis

Postby markschaible » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:55 am

Also, check-out the video at: http://www.sonexaircraft.com/support/vi ... late_stock

The Sonex Video Tips page linked above cover just-about all of the basic metalworking techniques needed in the project.
markschaible

Postby dtibbo » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:43 pm

markschaible wrote:Also, check-out the video at: http://www.sonexaircraft.com/support/vi ... late_stock

The Sonex Video Tips page linked above cover just-about all of the basic metalworking techniques needed in the project.

They've updated the link, in case anyone else is crawling these threads years later. The videos link to EAA Hints for Homebuilders, but it's a great compilation of Sonex-specific tips.

https://www.sonexaircraft.com/video-tips/
David Tibbo
Former Marine EA-6B Navigator, Civilian Instrument pilot
Waiex-B delivered 14 Nov 2018
Airworthiness certificate 11 June 2020
dtibbo

Return to Waiex Plans