WIX-T10 Stabilator Substructure

Discussion for Waiex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

WIX-T10 Stabilator Substructure

Postby nosky2high » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:43 pm

Looking at the stabilator rear spar; rib to spar details G and B show CCC-42 blind flush rivets but detail C shows CCP-42 regular blind rivets. This this correct? Or should they all be flush?

Thanks,
Anthony
Anthony Hanson
Waiex Tail Kit Collecting Dust
Owner Pilot N631KY, 1967 Mooney M20F
nosky2high@yahoo.com
Ozark, AL
nosky2high

Re: WIX-T10 Stabilator Substructure

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:03 pm

Anthony,
I don't have the plans in front of me so I can't give references. If you look ahead you will see there is a big aluminum Y that mounts to the tailpost, and this is riveted to the aft spar on final assembly. The flush rivets let the Y lay flush on the spar. The Y does not go the full span.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Rynoth » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:17 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:Anthony,
I don't have the plans in front of me so I can't give references. If you look ahead you will see there is a big aluminum Y that mounts to the tailpost, and this is riveted to the aft spar on final assembly. The flush rivets let the Y lay flush on the spar. The Y does not go the full span.

I also don't have plans in front of me but what Bryan says sounds correct. The inboard ribs are attached to the rear spar channel with countersunk rivets to clear the "Y" tailpost, but the outboard ribs don't have this conflict and use CCP rivets.

You can test this by just laying the larger "Y" in your kit against the back of your substructure to see how it fits.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby nosky2high » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:23 pm

Awesome info, thanks.

Since the "Y" attaches to the rear spar of the stabilator and i'll have to final drill/deburr shouldn't I wait until then to rivet the stabilator skin?

Looks like some builders rivet on one side (bottom) and or also part of the top skin.

Seems to be that it would be best to wait on riveting the stabilator skin until final fitting to the fuselage.
Anthony Hanson
Waiex Tail Kit Collecting Dust
Owner Pilot N631KY, 1967 Mooney M20F
nosky2high@yahoo.com
Ozark, AL
nosky2high

Return to Waiex Plans