Lower attach angle on Stabilator

Discussion for Waiex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

Lower attach angle on Stabilator

Postby gregsonex » Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:10 pm

Hey Folks,

Any suggestions on best way to bolt on the lower attach angle (WIX-T09-04) as part of stabilator installation (WIX-T07) after you've already riveted on the fuselage skins? It's really hard to get the right angle to get a washer and nut on the inside of the bolt--i tried both the hole on the tailcone as well as reaching from the access panel in the lower skin. It obviously would've been much easier to bolt on if I did it before riveting on the lower fuselage skin :(
gregsonex

Re: Lower attach angle on Stabilator

Postby WilliamBatten » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:35 am

Fast build kit builders have the same issue - the skins are already riveted when you receive the kit.

I did not see a way to place the nut on the back side of this angle for the lower bolts. So, I inserted the bolts from the back side for the lower angle - and then installed the angle. I then had access to install the nuts from the front. The top row of bolts was still a bit tricky - but doable. Hopefully my picture will clarify.

Bill
Attachments
IMG_1794.jpg
IMG_1792.jpg
Bill
N67WX - Reserved
Waiex-B Taildragger
Jabiru 3300
WilliamBatten

Postby Area 51% » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:59 pm

Are you talking about the bolts shown in the above pictures, or the two vertical bolts that hold the assembly to the longerons?

The Sonex has 4" round access holes in the aft fuselage for some reason. You might ask Tech support if it's OK to install one of them to gain access. Otherwise, the other option is to get Adam Cotton to come over with a handful of sharp drill bits. Not sure of his current rates, but he used to work for food.

I guess you missed the note on the bottom of page F-18 that would have you not rivet the bottom skin in place till the end of the show.
Area 51%

Postby BobDz » Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:07 pm

This thread immediately reminded me of an old Flinstones cartoon. Fred was out of work and going through the classifieds looking for a job. First job, person with long skinny fingers to put cotton into pill bottles. Second job, person with long skinny fingers to take cotton out of pill bottles.
Bob Dz...
Sonex B, Tri-gear
(technically within walking distance of Sonex)
N624DZ (reserved)

Plans exist to eliminate confusion, not create it.
BobDz

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:29 pm

Area 51% wrote:Otherwise, the other option is to get Adam Cotton to come over with a handful of sharp drill bits. Not sure of his current rates, but he used to work for food.

Now that he is gainfully employed at Woodward I think you will find his rates have gone up a prohibitive amount.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby BobDz » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:37 am

[quote="Bryan Cotton"
Now that he is gainfully employed at Woodward I think you will find his rates have gone up a prohibitive amount.[/quote]

Kind of sad when our built in labor force ages out.
Bob Dz...
Sonex B, Tri-gear
(technically within walking distance of Sonex)
N624DZ (reserved)

Plans exist to eliminate confusion, not create it.
BobDz

Postby gregsonex » Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:34 pm

Thanks Bill. I was referring to the vertical bolts that attach the assembly to the longeron as Area51% mentioned. I’ll try using a magnet, a longer socket wrench or some other tool to get the nuts attached.
gregsonex

Return to Waiex Plans