Why a type club?

Why a type club?

Postby Sonex Foundation » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:39 pm

As part of our effort to reignite interest in the Sonex Builders and Pilot's Foundation, I wanted to go back to the basics. Why do we need a type club?

In early 2013, while I was still building, I began to think about the long-term experience of owning and operating an experimental. At the time, the NTSB and FAA were very focused on EAB. Honestly, we as a larger community (EAB) were not doing a great job of being safe. Accidents were up. Transition training and non builder owner/pilots were an area of focus.

It was obvious something had to change. Either we became safer, or there were hints of increased scrutiny and regulation.

The Type Club Coalition was just gaining traction. I knew from owning certified aircraft that type clubs are very important. But our community really did not have one.

But did we need one? I met with a lot of skepticism when I asked. I was new to the community, hadn’t even flown my Sonex yet, and the skepticism was fair.

But several others felt as I did. It was important. But why?

Here are my thoughts.

Type clubs provide a social community beyond our awesome online forum. We have had meetings, local get togethers, picnics, and I have met (and flown with) many members.

Type clubs provide vetted technical guidance. They also can help builders and second owners ease into their first flights.

Type clubs allow a seat at the table with the NTSB and FAA. Literally. This is we why have worked closely with the Type Club Coalition (TCC) and attended their meetings. Last year, I did an EAA webinar and a presentation at Oshkosh in partnership with the TCC.

And type clubs can help develop standards for transition training.

So, Michael Farley, Eric Seber, and I decided to give it a shot. It wasn’t easy. It wasn’t cheap. And it was a tough sell. Even with the factory. Maybe especially with the factory.

Our timing was good. At the time, Sonex Aircraft LLC was developing a transition training program. Michael Farley worked with them to develop our initial transition training guide and recommendations for obtaining a LODA.

What began as an idea grew. We made it formal, based it on an existing, highly successful not for profit, and developed the legal structure to allow the type club to grow and be sustainable.

And in due time, the larger Sonex community began to accept the idea. I’d like to think the idea was, and still is, an important one. We have partnered with SonexBuilders.net and the SonexFlight podcast, although all of these remain legally separate entities.

I’d like to think we can continue to grow, learn, and bond together. Especially learn. That’s something that, as I get older, I find the most value in. Learning from others experiences.

It’s just one man’s opinion. But I think we need this type club. And I think it’s a good one. Our community is unique. Not as large as some. Our airplanes aren’t always perceived as being quite as fancy as some. But I think we have really cool, fun, affordable and very safe highly-customized aircraft.

Let’s keep it that way, together.

Robbie Culver
President
Sonex Builders and Pilots Foundation
Robbie Culver
President
Sonex Builders and Pilots Foundation
http://www.Sonexfoundation.com
Sonex Foundation

Return to Sonex Builders and Pilots Foundation