Center Spoiler Actuator

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Xenos.

Center Spoiler Actuator

Postby racaldwell » Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:07 pm

As the new service bulletin from Sonex implies, it is not smart when flying with your left hand to move the left sidewall mounted spoiler actuator when close to the ground, esp. in gusty wind. So making another spoiler actuator in the center of the cockpit that can be moved with my right (throttle) hand was an easy solution.

It is a pull and twist to lock actuator that pulls on the spoiler cable where it divides into two cables on the cockpit floor. A second pulley is added next to the one at the bottom of the firewall. The existing spoiler lever is left in place so there is redundant spoiler control. When one is pulled, the other one's cable goes slack.

The two notches of spoiler shown on the plans give a little then a lot. I added an in-between notch which gives the descent rate similar to my CS propped RV6 at near idle. This was a welcome addition.

There are yellow stripes painted on the actuator to see at a quick glance when the twist is aligned with spoiler positions 1, 2 or 3. The pictures show this and the aluminum loop pull handle. The label was applied after I took the picture.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057 39 hrs

Spoiler Actuator Center Control Sm.jpg
Spoiler Actuator Center Control Sm.jpg (133.47 KiB) Viewed 2344 times
Attachments
Spoiler Actuator Center Mechanism Sm.jpg
Spoiler Actuator Center Mechanism Sm.jpg (152.71 KiB) Viewed 2344 times
racaldwell

Return to Xenos