Larger Wheelpants for OKeefe Brakes

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Xenos.

Postby racaldwell » Wed May 18, 2022 6:24 pm

I got rid of Sonex's hydraulic version of Fred Flintstone brakes and installed OKeefe brakes. Now I have brakes. The Matco selection was just too confusing to me from all the choices and the OKeefe was simple.

The bad part is that my wheelpants no longer fit. I have the pressure recovery design used for Van's nose wheel. SO instead of making ugly blisters on those, I made a larger version of it. The outside of the Van's pants became the inside of my homemade version. I made two shells split in the middle so I could vary the center gap to get what I needed to fit the new Aero Classic tires & brakes/disc.

Once the shells where sized, more layups were added. In addition, I split the front half so it can be removed and fill the tire with air. The Van's split is too far forward to do that.

SO now they are fit to the existing brackets I made previously. The intersection fairings even fit. Now just to go through the filling and sanding until I get sick of sanding and call it good enough.

Here are pics if anybody ever follows in my footsteps.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057

Wheelpant Shell Layup Sm.jpg
Wheelpant Shell Layup Sm.jpg (136.01 KiB) Viewed 1559 times

Wheelpant Ready to Fit SM.jpg
Wheelpant Ready to Fit SM.jpg (179.46 KiB) Viewed 1559 times

Wheelpant Fitting Sm.jpg
Wheelpant Fitting Sm.jpg (182.22 KiB) Viewed 1559 times
racaldwell

Postby Carlos Trigo » Sat May 21, 2022 10:21 am

Nice work, Rick

You really like to do FB work, which many of us hate…
And further, you do it very well…

Cheers
Carlos
Carlos Trigo

Return to Xenos