Xenos W&B

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Xenos.

Xenos W&B

Postby racaldwell » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:53 pm

I weighed my Xenos this past weekend. It was heavier than I expected considering all the things I did to save weight. But I have no reference to go by since I have not seen info on a Jab 3300 powered Xenos.

My Xenos has:
CAMit 3300 engine with prop extension, 3.5 qts oil, cooling plenum, Jab air filter/carb heat valve, inlet air large radius lips, 3 piece cowling mod
Adjustable cowl flaps
Swingback canopy
Differential brakes with Flyboy swiveling tailwheel
Larger panel with glare shield
Gearleg & intersection fairings with Van's wheelpants
Fully built out baggage compartment, i.e. floor, sides, front & rear with hat shelf
Exterior epoxy primed & PPG Concept yellow top coat
Cockpit epoxy primed and enamel painted
Custom made seat cushions with confor-foam
Dual battery electrical bus

Fuselage weight (no wings): 580 lbs
Fuselage & wings with acro tips: 852 lbs
Fuselage & wings with homemade utility tips: 868 lbs

Good thing I only weigh 140 lbs. The CG distribution is good but passenger weight is limited with full fuel and baggage. Of course acro is limited to me only with 1/2 tank of fuel for 6 g rating.

How the plans show 750 lbs and 760 lbs with the utility tips is beyond me. I'm glad I used aluminum rivets for about 70% of the plane, lithium batteries, and lightened wingtips. I can see a carbon fiber cowling coming down the road. First though is to get this airborne.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057
racaldwell

Re: Xenos W&B

Postby Scott Todd » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:21 pm

Did you not look at your add-on list? All that stuff adds up quick.
Are all those aluminum rivets approved by Sonex?
Scott Todd

Postby XenosN42 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:06 am

The empty weight of my Xenos was 785 pounds. It was polished (looked pretty good too).
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Postby racaldwell » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:06 am

Hi Michael, Did you have a Jab 3300 engine? I would like to hear from Xenos owners with the 3300 engine as to what their weight is. J. Monnet said the prototype weighed 777 lbs but I doubt that is the weight of the one Pete Buck has that has the Jab 3300 in it.

Scott, yes, Sonex says the 2117 470/426-AD rivets can be used.

The add ons were done because I wanted to build the aircraft I want to own. I know the weight penalty but I weighed the pieces and it is not very much. The most weight gain came from the paint. I was surprised at the weight gain on my wing tips from the pinhole filling, epoxy primer and then top coat. Each tip gained about 4-5 lbs from that. Each tip started at 6-7 lbs before the finish work.

I have unpainted aluminum pieces from the kit that I did not use (instrument panel, wing root strip) that are corroded. And these pieces have spent their time inside a hangar. There is no way I would have an aluminum airplane right next to the Atlantic ocean without corrosion protection. Even with paint, there are still issues.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057
racaldwell

Postby Scott Todd » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:16 am

With all that wing, the added weight will be less noticeable in flight. Lets see it. Pictures :) We ALWAYS want pictures :)
Scott Todd

Postby racaldwell » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:54 am

Here are some pictures of the wing installation. I did this by myself with the wing jigs I made. Jackscrews on each corner of the jig allows adjustment as needed. They are in Melbourne and I no longer have a use for them so if somebody nearby needs wing jigs, let me know.

It is a close fit in my hangar with my RV-6 but it works.

I can't wait to fly. It is getting close. With 127 hp and that wing, I bet the climb rate will be close to my RV-6 with its CS prop. We'll soon see.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057
Attachments
Wings Installed Sm.jpg
Wings Installed Sm.jpg (140.19 KiB) Viewed 3724 times
Wing Installation Sm.jpg
Wing Installation Sm.jpg (154.15 KiB) Viewed 3724 times
Wings Install Jigs Sm.jpg
Wings Install Jigs Sm.jpg (150.28 KiB) Viewed 3724 times
racaldwell

Postby lakespookie » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:14 pm

What did you use for the flip back canopy? was it a custom design or a commercially available option?
Saturday's Building Live Stream
Jill's Build Log
PPL-ASEL
Tail = Complete
Wings Closed Out = 02/04/2024

Waiex-B 0054
Panel G3X
Engine Spyder 120 corvair conversion
lakespookie

Postby racaldwell » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:54 am

The swingback canopy kit from ASA. I am not sure if this is still available. It would not be difficult to make yourself as all pieces but one are just cut from regular shaped stock. The one piece is welded aluminum and that would not be difficult for a TIG welder.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057
racaldwell

Postby DCASonex » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:09 am

I think you mentioned having a CAMit 3300. That is about 8 lbs heavier than the Jab 3300, (mostly in heavier cylinders) and perhaps a bit more if with the 40 amp alternator.

David A. Sonex TD with CAMit 3300.
DCASonex

Return to Xenos