Noisy tail wheel

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Xenos.

Noisy tail wheel

Postby trwolf » Sun May 23, 2021 1:51 pm

Has anyone dealt with the 4" tail wheel noise? Every time I cross a seam or crack in the taxiway it sounds like someone just hit the tail with a hammer. Not to mention that I believe that the attaching bolt head is so close to the ground I am sure that it is making contact. Currently I am considering welding on some steel that will allow me to lower the wheel about 1".
trwolf

Re: Noisy tail wheel

Postby GraemeSmith » Sun May 23, 2021 6:48 pm

6" tailwheel........

Still noisy - but (slightly) less so as it bridges cracks better. A bit more comfort and a slightly larger patch on the pavement to help with taxiing in X-Winds.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby sonex1566 » Mon May 24, 2021 7:23 am

Hi,
I'm using the std 4" wheel, but I made the axle line an inch lower as the original design had the pivot bolt only just missing the ground. However on a gravel runway it still sounds like something has fallen off the back.
Richard
Scratch build Sonex
Std gear, dual control
Jabiru 3300, Sensenich prop
19-8776
1st Flight 25th June 2019. 170 hrs so far.....
http://www.sonex1566.com
sonex1566

Postby Fastcapy » Mon May 24, 2021 8:26 am

The original solid 4" tailwheel and associated bracket is junk. Small wheel with odd geometry. I had one for awhile and had the same issue with the loud banging every time I went over a crack. After only a few flights the pivot bolt was getting ground down from hitting the pavement going over cracks... Not to mention on grass it would leave a big trench in the grass...

I changed over to a Matco 6" pneumatic tailwheel and it eliminated both those issues. Highly recommend doing that as an upgrade!
Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

Postby Area 51% » Mon May 24, 2021 9:21 am

I installed a Peter Anson unit during the original build and have never had anything to complain about.
Area 51%

Postby Arjay » Mon May 24, 2021 1:23 pm

I had the stock Sonex 4" tailwheel. After about 250 hours on the airplane, the pivot bolt had worn down from hitting the ground to about half its original size, plus it too was terribly noisy on asphalt, grinding into the ground while taxiing. We finally replaced it with the Peter Anson pneumatic 6" tailwheel. That is much better, quieter and more comfortable, but does not last. We have had to change the tire twice since new because it wears out quickly and goes flat.

Ron at KLZU, stock sonex tw with aerovee. Now in process of replacing the aerocarb with a rotec tbi. Will let you guys know how that works out.
Arjay

Postby mike.smith » Tue May 25, 2021 8:57 pm

That sound is usually the pivot bolt head hitting the ground. There is really no reason a 4" tail wheel should be on a Sonex. I have drawings I made for a custom bracket to use a Vans 6" wheel. Reach out if you want a copy. Pretty simple to make if you have even modest (like me) welding skills. I got it right on the 2nd try.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby DCASonex » Wed May 26, 2021 8:31 am

I long ago replaced my 4' tail wheel with one a made from a common plastic 6" caster wheel, one that had true sealed precision ball bearings which are much better for the high RPMs from such small wheels at speed.. The caster wheels cost about $15 each and I got a couple of spares, but after about 10 years, 450 hours and plenty of less than perfect landings, that first wheel is still in place.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby trwolf » Fri May 28, 2021 6:48 pm

Thanks everyone for the good input. Really helps to know that you are not alone here or simply imagining things. It appears that Sonex has a replacement mount for both the 4 and 6" wheels that is supposed to increase the bolt head height by 1". Not sure why that is not standard equipment!
trwolf

Return to Xenos