Canopy latch, out with the PIN!

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Xenos.

Canopy latch, out with the PIN!

Postby trwolf » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:45 pm

Sorry Sonex, but I am not happy with the internal locking pin! I also did not like the fact that the locking pin precluded easy opening of the canopy from the outside in the event that the pilot required assistance.

So, I looked at a few options and decided to come up with my own, and while I was at it I wanted a key lock to secure the canopy when unattended. The cam lock cost me a whole $6, but the latch pin replacement took a couple of days of trial and error.

Now when you slide the canopy latch forward, the latch lever release mechanism ("pin") automatically pops up behind the forward dog and prevents aft motion until the interior or exterior latch release lever is lifted. The spring was an after thought which works very well. The key lock kind of does the same thing to the rear canopy dog.
Attachments
latch4.JPG
Latch1.JPG
lock1.JPG
lock1.JPG (32.09 KiB) Viewed 3078 times
latch3.JPG
latch2.JPG
trwolf

Re: Canopy latch, out with the PIN!

Postby Direct C51 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:01 pm

Great solution to the problems you defined.

To offer some constructive criticism, a rescuer might realize they need to pull that red lever upward, but I'm not sure they will realize that they need to slide that little bit of aluminum sticking through the lexan (canopy latch) aft before trying to lift up on the canopy. Maybe some more external instructions might clarify this? Hopefully they just give it kick. Or maybe just give it a quick spray with basically anything except water, that certainly makes it shatter, been there, done that.
Direct C51

Postby Area 51% » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:49 am

Nothing to do with the latch.
Is the material on your side panels coming apart from the backing? If they are Sonex units, you might contact the company and see about replacements. I know of a gentleman who is getting another set due to a bad glue job from the vendor.
Other than that, they really look nice.
Area 51%

Postby trwolf » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:43 pm

Good suggestion. Maybe It would help to paint the sliding lever red as well and it would be easy to add a little more verbiage. I see the point, but with the pin inserted the only option is to find a way to break the plexi.

Regarding the side panels I think you are right about the material separation. The material on the glare shield was spray glued down last year and was smooth as glass. After the Summer heat the glare shield now looks like the inside of an egg carton, I kind of like it in that I definitely will not get any glare. I may just remove it and replace it some day after I see how it performs in flight.
trwolf

Return to Xenos