Dual spoilers control

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Xenos.

Dual spoilers control

Postby Carlos Trigo » Fri May 08, 2020 4:18 pm

Unlike all the other Sonex’s, the XENOS doesn’t have flaps and has wing spoilers, controlled by a cable system pulled by a single control handle, installed in the left side of the cockpit.
The control stick is central, so it would be nice and safe to have a spoiler control handle in the right side of the cabin, for your instructor or your flight buddy to be able to use the spoilers.
Has anyone tried to figure out (or even did it) how to install a right side spoilers control handle, making it a dual control spoilers system?

I would love to hear about it

Thanks
Carlos
Carlos Trigo

Re: Dual spoilers control

Postby racaldwell » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:46 pm

Carlos,

No, I did not make dual spoiler control. I never plan to have a right seat person land the plane.

It would be very easy to make a mirror image of the left spoiler handle on the right side. When one of the handles is pulled aft, the cable on the other side will go slack. So as long as those cotter pins are in place to keep the cable on the pulleys, going slack should not be a problem.

I actually have a dual throttle that came with my firewall forward kit I bought second hand from a Zenith project. I didn't install it because I put my throttle cable in the center of the panel instead of on the left side. This way, I can move the spoiler with my left hand, throttle in the right hand, and fly with my knees. Ahh, yeah, right.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057
racaldwell

Return to Xenos