Feet operated differential brakes

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Xenos.

Postby Carlos Trigo » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:40 am

Guys

I would like to hear from those of you who modified your brakes to have feet operated differential brakes.

Especially, but not exclusively, from anyone building a Xenos, in which the stock brakes are hand operated, working simultaneously with the wing spoilers.

Thanks
Carlos
Carlos Trigo

Re: Feet operated differential brakes

Postby racaldwell » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:57 pm

Carlos,

I have differential brakes installed on my Xenos. I used the J. Gillis foot pedals and Matco master cylinders with the Sonex hydraulic brake set up. I have the Flyboys full swivel tailwheel designed for the Sonex. I used the Vans nosewheel pants and made my own mounting bracket, copying the Vans mounting bracket concept, except for the outside mount. I made my own design which is simpler to install the wheelpants in the correct position than the Vans design.

Let me know what info you need.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057
racaldwell

Postby Carlos Trigo » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:49 pm

Hi Rick

This post you are now answering was made a bit ago, when I was looking for information about what to do in a Xenos, where the plans indicate the brakes are controlled by the same handle that control the spoilers.

Now that I decided for differential toe brakes, and also the Flyboy full swivel tailwheel, I will have the same feet operated brakes (with MATCO master cylinders installed in the pedals) and tailwheel configuration as you.
With the difference that I will install MATCO wheels and discs, with internal calliper brakes.

So I suppose you left the spoilers & brakes handle to control only the spoilers, and you probably made a modification in the dented angle where this handle operates, is that so?

Moreover, since this spoilers handle is situated in the left edge of the cockpit, where the guy in the right seat will not be able to reach, I intend to try and make a dual control of the spoilers, putting a second handle in the symmetrical position in the right edge of the cockpit.
What do you think about this idea?

Thanks
Carlos
Carlos Trigo

Re: Feet operated differential brakes

Postby racaldwell » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:49 pm

Carlos,

Making a spoiler handle on the right: I don't see any issues with that. Your firewall will just a bit busier.

I just omitted anything related to the brake when making the spoiler handle & parts.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057
racaldwell

Return to Xenos