Full swivel tail wheel

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Xenos.

Re: Full swivel tail wheel

Postby gyroron » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:33 am

keep in mind, if you have the stock Sonex drum or even their upgraded hydro brakes... unless you have made some way to have differential braking... a full swivel tailwheel is not something you will want for your sonex. You need to have control over each brake separately to be able to lock or unlock the tailwheel.

There is a possibility that if the locking action is strong enough, you might be able to use one on a sonex with stock brakes, but you would only be able to use the advantages of it swiveling around by manually unlocking it, and really the only advantage at that point would be to be able to push the plane backways on the ramp or into or around the hangar.

I personally think the stock brake set up is cheesy and wish I had toe brakes. You can have so much more control over take-off and landing and taxi operations when you can individually control the brakes. I am sure what the plane comes with is probably the lightest, cheapest and most simple way of providing braking to the airplane and that is why it comes with what it comes with.

Speaking of tailwheels... my plane has a modified version of the older style stock steel set up. Everything is loose and wore out. The wheel is a 4 inch wheel, and it has plenty of wear and its loud. With everything loose on the tailwheel assembly, the plane requires you to really stay active on the rudder pedals as it won't track straight and true.

I talked to the people at Flyboy about their tailwheel set ups...

I also strongly considered ordering the new improved tailwheel set up from Sonex...

Then found Peter Anson in Australia and his products, and really liked that he was offering a tailwheel with a rubber tire that you pump up. I feel like that should be far better in side to side traction and much less noise. Sadly, because of this Covid pandemic, it may never arrive here thou. It was mailed out to me March 24th, and its still sitting at the post office in Melborne, almost a month later. I am beyond excited to get the parts and get them installed though. Hopefully they find their way onto a plane or boat sometime soon.
Ron Awad
Legacy Model Waiex TD
3300 Jabiru
Charlotte NC area
gyroron

Postby Arjay » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:17 pm

I have Peter Anson’s tailwheel on my Sonex and love it. It is much quieter and much less vibration while taxiing. The only negative is we had to replace the original tube, as it was rotten, and occasionally needs air.

Ron
Legacy Sonex taildragger, aerovee with aerocarb (for now)
Arjay

Postby Sonerai13 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:43 pm

In any aircraft that has a pneumatic tailwheel, the pilot is highly encouraged to carry an extra tube in the aircraft anytime you plan to land at locations other than home base. I guarantee that the local A&P will not have a tube for a tailwheel tire (if there is such a thing as an "local A&P" at the airport where you have the flat, and you will have a flat sooner or later). I'll bet you can figure out how I know!
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby Jgibson » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:38 pm

Old trick for flat tailwheel tire:
In an emergency, stuff a rag (or tee shirt) in place of a tube. Stuff it as much as you can get in there. Usually good for one GENTLE landing.
Jgibson

Postby sonex892. » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:20 pm

I wouldnt go back to either the the direct steering or solid rubber tire. Yes it is dirt simple and it works, those tires never wear out, but they are noisy and have a huge turning circle.

I made my own swiveling tailwheel with pneumatic tire and have been flying with it for the last couple of years. It uses the same scooter tires that Peter Anson uses. Peter, you will be pleased to know after seeing Cavemans photo of the fylyboy tailwheel. I had enough inspiration to make a new lower fork. This raised the wheel and lowered the tail by 40mm. Just did the first flight this morning with 3 landings, No shimmy which was good, just a bit heavier on the steering and less visibility taxiing.

Steve
Sonex 892

Steve
Lazair kit 1981 sold
Sonerai 2LS plansbuilt 2003 sold
Sonex kit 2010
Sonerai 2LS project rotax 912
sonex892.

Previous

Return to Xenos