Full swivel tail wheel

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Xenos.

Full swivel tail wheel

Postby Carlos Trigo » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:48 pm

Guys

I attended today’s Sonex virtual fly-in, and amongst the good presentations, there was one specifically about tail wheels.

Since I still don’t know nothing about the Sonex tail wheels (I’m still building my XENOS tail kit and have the fuselage kit on order), I forgot to answer.
Is any of the tail wheels, the stock, the factory 4” and 6” improved ones, or the after market (Anson), a full swivel tail wheel?

Carlos
Carlos Trigo

Re: Full swivel tail wheel

Postby tx_swordguy » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:34 pm

To my knowledge all standard sonex wheels do not have full swivel tw. Not sure if there is a swiveling tw available or not. I have not had any issues swinging my sonex around. I doubt it will really be a big deal for you without a swiveling tw.
Mark Whiddon
T25 Aero Estates
Sonex N889AP
jabiru 3300 solid lifter
tx_swordguy

Full swivel tail wheel

Postby caveman371 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:03 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
caveman371

Full swivel tail wheel

Postby caveman371 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:06 pm

caveman371 wrote:Image

Myself and John Gillis have the flyboy accessories tail wheel. Direct drive from 45 to 45 then pops out with a tap of toe brake ( optional). I love mine!

caveman371

Postby tx_swordguy » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:36 am

That’s interesting I did not know it was available. I have had some serious skidding in my sonex with the small wheel . I attribute it to low weight of the tail along with some cross wind I did not get far enough ahead on. Have no idea if it would have broken loose during those times but I was thankful I had a solid tw and not a chain and spring coupled tw. How well would it break loose without individual brakes. I have a single brake lever so am curious
Mark Whiddon
T25 Aero Estates
Sonex N889AP
jabiru 3300 solid lifter
tx_swordguy

Full swivel tail wheel

Postby caveman371 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:50 am

Your not gaining anything without having the optional toe brakes. I wouldn’t do that in your configuration
My 2 cents worth
Mike

caveman371

Full swivel tail wheel

Postby Carlos Trigo » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:14 pm

Thank you caveman

That’s good to know you are using this tail wheel in your Sonex, and that it works.
I will consider this

Carlos
Carlos Trigo

Full swivel tail wheel

Postby Carlos Trigo » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:19 pm

Mike

In the “flyboy” website there are 3 tw forks: “doug bell”, “screaming eagle” and “eaglet racer” .
Which one did you use on your Sonex?

Carlos
Carlos Trigo

Full swivel tail wheel

Postby caveman371 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:32 pm

I couldn’t tell you which one. I talked to them at Oshkosh a couple of years ago. I told him I had a sonex and he got the correct one for me. I did get the one for a RV ( a little bit different angle) He stopped making the one designed for a sonex because of some complaints by a few. He said if I didn’t like the RV type, he would build up a sonex one for me. Mine gives me a flatter landing angle but I have no problem with that especially if you like to wheel land a bunch.

caveman371

Postby Gordon » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:10 am

Flyboy's Full Swivel Tail Wheel …….4 Sale

The full swivel tailwheel made for an RV has the wrong angle for a Sonex/Onex.

I found that out when I installed the RV fork from Flyboy's 2 years ago. After considerable back and forth emailing with Flyboys I sent them the proper angle measurements needed. They then "jigged up" to make the correct angle fork for future Sonex customers.

One of the big advantages with the full swivel is to be able to push the airplane into the hanger tail first as well as pivoting around on one wheel on the ramp......with toe brakes.

I have decided to go a different route and so have this brand new Flyboy's full swivel tail wheel fork for sale.

It will accept a 4" or a 6" tire/wheel. This fork has the correct angle for a Sonex/Onex and fits the Sonex/Onex tail spring. I will sell it at a discounted price.

Email me for photos and details. gdbaxter78@gmail.com

Gordon...…...Hummel 2400.....Onex 0024
Gordon

Next

Return to Xenos