Xenos 59 Electric Build

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Xenos.

Re: Xenos 59 Electric Build

Postby jasondepew » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:40 pm

Carlos Trigo wrote:
Xenos 59 wrote:Regenerative braking is a feature of essentially all electric vehicles where you are able to capture the energy from the wheels (or prop) and push it back into the battery. Google will probably explain it better...

Thank you Gabe

So it’s not possible for the prop to stop completely, and use for example a foldable prop?

There are definitely foldable prop options. Carat and Stemme have two interesting ones. They add complexity and cost, and it seems like a mechanical brake would be easier to implement (most helicopters have such brakes.)

However, the regenerative capability is one of the coolest parts of an electronic aircraft. If you can find lift that will impart energy to your aircraft, you can thermal or cruise in it and instead of using it to gain altitude or speed, use it to recharge your batteries in flight. In theory, you could significantly extend your flight time and land with the equivalent of a full tank of gas. Greg Cole has some YouTube videos and documents on his website discussing this. It's something I hope to explore when I build an electric Xenos myself.
jasondepew

Postby taildragger » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:00 am

Could direct-drive be attempted? A few questions?

Is the Zero motor torque curve acceptable at 3000 RPM?
Is there enough koror cooling at 3000 RPM?
Building electric Xenos
President, EAA Chapter 1250
taildragger

Postby jerryhain » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:07 pm

They’re having a Pulitzer Prize Electric aircraft race from Omaha to near Kitty Hawk in May next year. Think you should add batteries into the passenger seat and enter the race.
Jerry Hain, Tucson AZ
Waiex Electric?
CFI Glider/Airplane/Helicopter A&P
jerryhain

Postby taildragger » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:23 am

I am building this because Xenos 59 blazed the trail. See my inspiration video at: https://youtu.be/V5xHZ03tBaU
Building electric Xenos
President, EAA Chapter 1250
taildragger

Postby GraemeSmith » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:05 pm

Great to see Gabe getting a "Watts and Wings" column in Jan 2022 KITPLANES about Electric planes!
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Xenos 59 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:16 pm

Happy to report Xenos 59 is better than ever and keeps racking up those sweet electron powered flight hours.

Xenos 59

Postby Xenos 59 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:22 pm

Still flying the Xenos every chance I get!
Xenos 59

Previous

Return to Xenos