Xenos 59 Electric Build

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Xenos.

Re: Xenos 59 Electric Build

Postby Xenos 59 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:13 pm

Regenerative braking is a feature of essentially all electric vehicles where you are able to capture the energy from the wheels (or prop) and push it back into the battery. Google will probably explain it better...
Xenos 59

Xenos 59 Electric Build

Postby Carlos Trigo » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:32 pm

Xenos 59 wrote:Regenerative braking is a feature of essentially all electric vehicles where you are able to capture the energy from the wheels (or prop) and push it back into the battery. Google will probably explain it better...

Thank you Gabe

So it’s not possible for the prop to stop completely, and use for example a foldable prop?
Carlos Trigo

Postby mike.smith » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:44 pm

This is such a cool project! The epitome of "experimental" aircraft! So many airplanes are now such refined kits, that they hardly seem experimental, and certainly not cutting edge. This is BOTH! Nice job!
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby Xenos 59 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:47 am

Carlos Trigo wrote:So it’s not possible for the prop to stop completely, and use for example a foldable prop?

It is possible, but since this prop does not fold, it always provides some torque in the system which keep's it spinning slowly. If it folded it would no longer be providing that torque. To hold a non-feathering or non-folding prop stationary actually requires power or a mechanical brake. I am looking to add a mechanical brake in future versions.
Xenos 59

Xenos 59 Electric Build

Postby Carlos Trigo » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:05 am

Xenos 59 wrote:
Carlos Trigo wrote:So it’s not possible for the prop to stop completely, and use for example a foldable prop?

It is possible, but since this prop does not fold, it always provides some torque in the system which keep's it spinning slowly. If it folded it would no longer be providing that torque. To hold a non-feathering or non-folding prop stationary actually requires power or a mechanical brake. I am looking to add a mechanical brake in future versions.

Thanks a lot Gabe

That’s good news.
I’m looking forward for you to give us the way to copy your system in our aircraft.

Thanks
Carlos
Carlos Trigo

Postby Xenos 59 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:54 pm

I am revising the design of the "re-drive" to allow for off-the-shelf sprockets and a wider range of gearing options. After that I will be offering them for sale. If you are genuinely interested, let me know. Still flying her every chance I get and it just keeps getting better :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US6_4W9lPio
Xenos 59

Xenos 59 Electric Build

Postby Carlos Trigo » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:14 pm

Xenos 59 wrote:I am revising the design of the "re-drive" to allow for off-the-shelf sprockets and a wider range of gearing options. After that I will be offering them for sale. If you are genuinely interested, let me know. Still flying her every chance I get and it just keeps getting better :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US6_4W9lPio

Hi Gabe

I am genuinely interested, but before buying it I need to know information about the whole solution.
I mean, for example:
- a list of all the parts to be bought (motor, batteries, cables, controllers and so on), and exact reference (from which bike, which characteristics);
- a list of all other necessary parts (gear drive, prop plate, type of propeller);
- schematic drawings (mechanical and electrical) of all the installation;
- schematic drawing for the modification of the engine mount;
- some kind of installation manual of all the propulsion system;

Will you be providing all this?

Thanks
Carlos
Carlos Trigo

Postby Xenos 59 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:39 pm

I will not be offering a complete guide. I will be offering the "re-drive" which incudes the welded assembly, a hand throttle, and all the bearings, sprockets, and belts required.

The re-drive kit, plus a Zero Motorcycle, plus a propeller will yield a functional drive unit.

I will happily share my motor/battery mount design, but I will not be making them or guarantee it is fit for purpose...

Anybody entertaining the notion of building this "more experimental than most" electric system must be willing and able to fully understand, engineer, and fabricate any/all of the system, and accept full responsibility for it's safety and function.

I am happy to provide details and pictures of my system, as I have done, but I will only be helping those who would do this themselves anyways, and just want to go down a proven (somewhat) path. If you are looking for a fully documented, turn-key system, with support, etc... I'm just not in a position to provide that now.
Xenos 59

Postby ASDomenighi » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:00 am

Hi Gabe, great work,
I did some research on a Zero donor and I create a table of the Zero Bike LineUp per year and motor specs and controller available for each motorcycle. I believe this can be a good resource for people looking for donors bikes:

https://ibb.co/xLpVxPc

In the past you wrote that you are planning to install a 7.2 Kwh Zero pack to increase endurance time, do you have any idea when you will start to work on it ?
Does anyone had thought on the possibility to install battery pack in the front and another one behind the cockpit ??
ASDomenighi

Postby Xenos 59 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:36 am

The 2nd battery will be a 3.6kwh "power tank". It will be fitted under the glare shield where the fuel tank used to be. Originally I thought it would go behind the seat but that would put the cg too far back.

The extra battery will be integrated along with a complete dash rebuild sometime this winter. Having too much fun flying while the weather is good ;)
Xenos 59

PreviousNext

Return to Xenos