Riveting the stabilators skin

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Xenos.

Postby Carlos Trigo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:46 am

Guys

In the XENOS drawing indicating the installation of the Stabilator skins there are indications saying that some rivets are only installed after the installation of the Stabilator on the Fuselage.
But it is not clear which rivets are those?

Does anyone remember which exactly are the rivets that cannot be installed before the installation of the Stabilator on the Fuselage?

I ask this because I still don’t have the Fuselage and I want to conclude as much as possible the Stabilators.

Thanks
Carlos
Carlos Trigo

Re: Riveting the stabilators skin

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:01 am

Carlos,
Look carefully at the print. Some of the callouts will be for rivets, and some for holes. Assuming the Xenos is like the Waiex, the big Y fitting is riveted to the fuselage, and the stabilizer is riveted to the big Y fitting. The ruddervator hinges go on last. This is by memory from years ago, so use my recollection to help interpret the plans.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Rynoth » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:18 am

It's definitely in the plans in the details somewhere. Again assuming it's like the Waiex tail, basically you don't want rivets where the Y-fitting will interface with the stabilators.

If you look closely in this pic you can see where my y-fitting fits (and isn't yet riveted), as well as the piano hinge/skin rivets in that area that would interfere with pulling the y-fitting rivets.

Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby Carlos Trigo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:47 am

Bryan Cotton wrote:Carlos,
Look carefully at the print. Some of the callouts will be for rivets, and some for holes. Assuming the Xenos is like the Waiex, the big Y fitting is riveted to the fuselage, and the stabilizer is riveted to the big Y fitting. The ruddervator hinges go on last. This is by memory from years ago, so use my recollection to help interpret the plans.

Thanks Bryan

I will try to read it more carefully, but when I read it, there were 2 instructions that seemed to be contradictory.
Carlos Trigo

Postby Carlos Trigo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:52 am

Rynoth wrote:It's definitely in the plans in the details somewhere. Again assuming it's like the Waiex tail, basically you don't want rivets where the Y-fitting will interface with the stabilators.

If you look closely in this pic you can see where my y-fitting fits (and isn't yet riveted), as well as the piano hinge/skin rivets in that area that would interfere with pulling the y-fitting rivets.

Thanks Rynoth

The picture is very useful.

So the y-fitting (still not known to me, I only have the tail plans...) is fixed to the aft spar of the Stabilator, right?

Therefore it seems that the stabilator skin rivets which cannot be installed now are the ones that grip the skin to the aft spar, upper and bottom, right?

Thanks
Carlos
Carlos Trigo

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:19 pm

Here is a good picture of the Y fittings. This is one of my favorite pictures from my build.
Tailcone milestone.jpg
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Rynoth » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:34 pm

Carlos Trigo wrote:
So the y-fitting (still not known to me, I only have the tail plans...) is fixed to the aft spar of the Stabilator, right?

Therefore it seems that the stabilator skin rivets which cannot be installed now are the ones that grip the skin to the aft spar, upper and bottom, right?

Correct, for the Waiex anyways. One does not rivet the aft spar where the y-fitting will attach, along with the skin rivets along the aft spar in the same area.

I don't recall this being at all ambiguous in the Waiex plans, but I've never seen the Xenos plans. If it does read the same as the Waiex plans, this may be an opportunity to learn how to read and understand the plans going forward (I'm not being sarcastic, I had many "aha" moments when I realized what the plans were trying to tell me, and this helped for the rest of the build.)
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby Carlos Trigo » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:56 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:Here is a good picture of the Y fittings. This is one of my favorite pictures from my build.
Tailcone milestone.jpg

Bryan

The picture didn’t come through, at least for me...

Carlos
Carlos Trigo

Postby Carlos Trigo » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:02 pm

Rynoth wrote:
I don't recall this being at all ambiguous in the Waiex plans, but I've never seen the Xenos plans. If it does read the same as the Waiex plans, this may be an opportunity to learn how to read and understand the plans going forward (I'm not being sarcastic, I had many "aha" moments when I realized what the plans were trying to tell me, and this helped for the rest of the build.)

No problem, Rynoth, since I am more used to the Van’s RV plans (which so far seem to be better than the Sonex’s, mainly because the RV plans have written instructions next to the drawings), I am still in the learning curve of the Sonex plans ...

Cheers
Carlos

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk
Carlos Trigo

Return to Xenos