Xenos 0052 progress

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Xenos.

Xenos 0052 progress

Postby trwolf » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:16 pm

I acquired partially built Xenos 0052 in the Summer of 2018 from sunny Southern Cal and trailered it home to within 30 miles of British Columbia, Canada, to the not so sunny state of WA. After unloading my prize, we had a couple of short vacations to visit friends and relatives and then spent the Fall in Sunny Southern Cal. Go figure. All that to say that I started building the empennage in January of 2019 (was that ever a cold experience), and I just finished my second wing.

Had a couple of interruptions, but have managed to maintain some activity in the shop all the same. If I can keep at it this Winter, I may be in the air in 2020? Engine is in the crate and I have all the basic instruments in hand, so I am hopeful.

Wing2.JPG

Tom.
trwolf

Re: Xenos 0052 progress

Postby peter anson » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:56 am

Good going Tom. The Xenos is not a trivial build. For a start you're building twice as much wing as us Sonex flyers. Got to admit I was never the slightest bit interested in the Xenos until I watched one of Michael Jackson's videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe4EbVZHw-8. He had been beep beep beep, boop boop booping for about 5 minutes before I realized the engine wasn't running and I thought, hey, that's pretty cool.

Cheers,

Peter
peter anson

Postby bvolcko38 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:20 am

Keep plugging away. Soon the tiny speck of light at the end of the tunnel will get bigger and bigger. I built XNS0068 in 2.3 years...retired.
Bill Volcko XNS0068
Xenos A N68WV 99% flush rivets
Aerovee and Prince P-Tip
MGL Discovery Lite w/ Sandia STX 165R
V6
First hole 4/1/16
First flight 8/24/18
Phase I complete...finally!!!
Also flying a Challenger II since 1999
bvolcko38

Postby trwolf » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:40 pm

Thought the wing building would never end! Speaking of Michael Jackson's 0042, it now resides in Washington State in Seattle. Another Michael now owns it and should be flying next year. He is VW buff and has torn the engine all apart to make sure it is ticking just the way he wants it before he flies. My engine just returned from Arizona and is ready whenever I am. Got plenty to do in the meantime.
trwolf

Postby trwolf » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:08 am

Just completed wing rig yesterday. Got a couple of items on back order, but still believing for an August Airworthiness Inspection. And, if I can find an instructor (just might have) who will give me a flight review, I should be able to "legally fly in September. That is the plan for now.
trwolf

Postby NWade » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:06 am

trwolf wrote:Thought the wing building would never end! Speaking of Michael Jackson's 0042, it now resides in Washington State in Seattle. Another Michael now owns it and should be flying next year. He is VW buff and has torn the engine all apart to make sure it is ticking just the way he wants it before he flies. My engine just returned from Arizona and is ready whenever I am. Got plenty to do in the meantime.

Hey, do you have contact information for this other Michael? I’m both a Sonex builder and a sailplane pilot in the Seattle area and I’d love to introduce myself to the new owner. I’d be happy to help him with either the aircraft or any Soaring topics (weather, cross-country soaring, local terrain and caution areas, etc)!

Thanks,

—Noel
Sonex #1339
ASG-29
NWade

Postby trwolf » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:12 pm

Noel, I believe that you know Mike Kiley from Evergreen. We all spoke last year at one of the club events. By the way, 0052 is ready to fly except for leaky hydraulic brakes. I am waiting for Tech support to get back to me, but I am pretty sure that the system is missing some spacers to prevent the wheel from compressing the pistons too deep into the bores. I have been in contact with support on two occasions and the first two suggestions did not help. So, after much consternation I am very sure of the problem and just waiting to confirm my solution before I make things worse. I will be contacting you off line also.
Attachments
Xenos1.JPG
trwolf

Postby trwolf » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:19 pm

A couple of things to report:
1. Xenos 0052 is officially airworthy! Ready to fly, however, with my chosen airport for Phase 1 shutting down the main, grass, and glider grass strips for two months, and bad weather on the way I am probably going to postpone first flight until next Spring. Besides I am probably two weeks away from completing my trailer.
2. Leaking disc brake problem solved. I spoke with the previous kit owner and he told me that the calipers arrived to him pre-assembled with no plan sheet! Sonex says they do not ship pre-assembled? So it is that we cannot confirm point of origin, but I can confirm that after receiving the plans from Sonex, my suspicion of improper assembly was borne out. Someone had installed the pistons in backwards. That little problem set me back about two weeks, but did not stop me from completing the Xenos, so, my goal to finish in 2020 has been reached.
trwolf

Postby trwolf » Sun May 23, 2021 1:37 pm

Update time. Returned from several months of warm weather in So Cal, completed the trailer and got it inspected and licensed, and 0052 is officially tied out at Arlington airport in space 76. Had to buzz out of state to visit the kids for a week plus and now I am waiting for some decent weather. Have been working (when time and weather permit) to do final tweaks and some taxi testing. Engine temps are still a bit of a concern during taxi tests. So, my updated first flight target is June something as soon as I feel comfy with my ground handling and the engine is staying cool. Never thought retirement could be this busy.
trwolf

Return to Xenos