Wingtip Weightloss Program

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Xenos.

Re: Wingtip Weightloss Program

Postby lutorm » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:43 am

Nice! Maybe the whole plane should be build in composites? ;-P
lutorm

Postby bvolcko38 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:52 am

Rick,
I would love to commission you to make a set of wing tips for me. You have already done the hardest part, making the molds.
Bill Volcko XNS0068
Xenos A N68WV 99% flush rivets
Aerovee and Prince P-Tip
MGL Discovery Lite w/ Sandia STX 165R
V6
First hole 4/1/16
First flight 8/24/18
Phase I complete...finally!!!
Also flying a Challenger II since 1999
bvolcko38

Postby racaldwell » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:56 pm

Bill,

I was sanding my wingtips yesterday after another round of pinhole filling and the wind was blowing. The tip got away from me but I still had one hand on it. I picked it up high so it would not swing & hit the ground. Tip saved. Lightweight tips have their advantages.

I have to get finished with this Xenos project before I take on the side jobs I get asked to help with. If you were nearby, I would let you build them out of my molds. I plan to retire from my day job this June so I can then get some real progress showing on the Xenos. My guess is a year from now I might have something that looks like an airplane.

The way I built the tips with vacuum infusion is fast compared to wet lay-up but there are still lots of hours involved, i.e. just cutting all the cloth is a big one. But if you still want a pair when that time comes, we can talk about it then.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057
racaldwell

Previous

Return to Xenos