Probe

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Xenos.

Probe

Postby Xenossoaring » Sun May 15, 2016 8:55 pm

I am ready to select and install a pitot static and total energy probe to complete the stabilators. I'm interested what other builders have built or purchased. I'm also interested in the choices made for a vario. I see the plans support either a 3 way probe on the right stabilator, or pitot static on the right and a TE probe on the left. Thanks for your comments in advance. Craig Xenos #22
Last edited by Xenossoaring on Mon May 16, 2016 1:30 am, edited 4 times in total.
Xenossoaring

Probe

Postby Xenossoaring » Sun May 15, 2016 8:57 pm

Xenossoaring

Re: Probe

Postby Bob » Mon May 16, 2016 8:27 pm

I just bought a vario (LXNAV S3), probe, and adapter from Cumulua Soaring. I had installed the three lines in the right stab. and ran three lines down the fuse. so figured I might as well spend the extra money and get the TE system. After spending this much time and money on the plane, I want to be able to get the most out of its ability to soar.

Just finished fitting the wings into the fuse and drilling for attach bolts. Wings remove and ready to install gear then engine. Most of my instruments are installed. 80% done and 90% left to do!

Bob (Xenos no.59)
Bob

Postby XenosN42 » Tue May 17, 2016 9:30 am

Hi Craig,

When planning my pitot/static/total energy probes I spoke to experts from Cumulus Soaring and Wings & Wheels. I initially asked about a probe and mount adapter that combined all three functions. Cumulus and Wings & Wheels both said that 'yes' they could sell me that but that they strongly suggested using separate probes and mounts. Reason: The combined probe uses three O-rings. Those extra O-rings make things more complicated and more can go wrong, like the rings coming off and getting stuck inside.

I ended up installing the total energy probe on the right stabilator, the pitot on the left stabilator, and the static ports in the forward fuselage. I looked up the part numbers on the Wings & Wheels web site and the probes I'm using are no longer available; however there are plenty of other options. Give them a call and ask for a recommendation.

I'm using the Tasman V1000 vario. http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/tasman.htm

-- Michael
N42XE; Xenos; It's still for sale!
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Probe

Postby Xenossoaring » Fri May 20, 2016 1:14 am

Thanks for both of your comments!!
Craig, Xenos 022

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Xenossoaring

Postby racaldwell » Fri May 20, 2016 4:18 pm

I bought the everything probe from W & W. Maybe I'll be able to keep the probe in since I will be in a hangar, not a trailer. I installed per the plans but still a long way away from buying instruments. I do like the LXnav stuff & hope I can catch a yr. end sale when the day comes.

Rick in MLB
racaldwell

Return to Xenos