Xenos wing trailing edge aileron alignment

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Xenos.

Postby Xenossoaring » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:21 pm

We purchased a Xenos project this summer with the airframe done, on it's gear with aerovee 80 mounted 90% done/90% to go. I have run across a couple issues that I would like to correct. The trailing edge outboard skin on one wing was installed in such a way as to be out of alignment with the trailing edge of the aileron. It appears that the aileron hinge was installed correctly (did the aileron skin come pre drilled from sonex?) I think the outboard trailing edge skin was drilled by the previous builder. If he mis located the rivet holes to attach to the wing could this cause it's leading edge to extend beyond the ailerons trailing edge? Do you think I will have to remove the skin, order a new one and install the 4 ribs and align and fit such that the trailing edge is a straight line? I would appreciate any ideas as to what I am up against to fix. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Xenossoaring

Re: Xenos wing trailing edge aileron alignment

Postby ededoad » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:49 am

Most of the Sonex that I have seen are this way. The aileron and flap trailing edge do not line up. I built my sonnet from scratch and made it a point to get the trailing edge to line up and got a little closer to alignment but still not exact. In your case do nothing.

Regards, Ed
ededoad

Postby XenosN42 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:07 pm

Hello unnamed Xenos owner,

Congratulations on your Xenos. You are very fortunate to find one so far along to completion. Below I’ll give you some advice on what you’ll need to do to align the wing’s trailing edge with the aileron. But, first I agree with Ed’s reply; I wouldn’t change it. It isn’t a flight safety issue, won’t affect performance, and is purely a cosmetic issue.

But first a bit of bad news: The builder did not fabricate the aileron correctly. Hopefully, this is too only a cosmetic issue, but it might affect the wing tip attachment. If you’ve already attached the wing tips and they don’t interfere with the ailerons then no worries.

So what is wrong with the aileron? The aileron drive plate (XNS-W04-04) should be attached flush with the end of the aileron. Look at the XNS-W04-01R & XNS-W04-01L details very closely. You’ll see a small slot cutout of one end of each aileron skin. Yours does not have that. Now look at XNS-W03-01L & XNS-W03-01R. Notice how the drive plate is ‘recessed’ into the aileron skin. When installed correctly you won’t be able to see the thickness of the drive plate. Once again only a problem if it interferes with the wing tips.

Aileron alignment. You should budget around 12-16 hours for this work, depending on your experience of course.

You’ll need to buy the following from Sonex:
XNS-Z02-02; trailing edge stock; you can determine the length you’ll need by referring to XNS-W21; you’ll need to remake -07RorL, -08RorL, and -09RorL
About ½ pound of CCP-42 rivets (can't have too many of those handy)

You’ll need to drill out the existing rivets in the trailing edge skin. Have fun! Using new sharp drill bits will cut down on the swearing a bit (but only a bit). You only need to drill out the rivets that attach the trailing edge to the drag spar, and the trailing edge to the ribs.

Page XNS-W05 shows how to install the trailing edge skin. Keep in mind that you’ll need to offset the rivets holes into the trailing edge ribs by about ¼ inch (you don’t want to use the existing holes in the ribs, you’ll need to create new ones).

You’ll be able to perfect the alignment during the reinstall. More important than that however is: NO TWIST! Those trailing edges must be flat and straight.

Good luck.

-- Michael
Xenos N42XE
OneX N169XE
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Postby Xenossoaring » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:46 am

Thanks Michael, your post is very helpful as well as Ed's. The wing tips have not been installed yet. I have the wings in a storage unit right now, so I will go & take closer look tomorrow in the light. If the aileron looks like it will interfere with the tip, then it looks like I will have to re-fabricate the aileron with a new skin, as well as installing new trailing edge skins, if I decide to go that route to have a straight trailing edge. I took a look at your Xenos online, it's a nice looking plane! I especially like the photos removing the fuselage from your apartment...amazing.

My Xenos is #022. I would love to chat with you about your Xenos, if you are open to that please pm me through this site.
Thanks again,
Craig

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Xenossoaring

Postby sonex1678 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:52 pm

From what I see in the photos, there are two problems (I am building a Sonex, but I believe this applies to the Xenos also). First, as previously pointed out, the aileron drive plate/rib location is incorrect(this will affect the aileron width, but not the trailing edge alignment when installed); and, second, the location of the flap and aileron hinges on the wing trailing edge (rear spar) may be slightly off. Because the flap and aileron are attached to opposite edges ( top vs bottom) of the rear spar, their trailing edges will only line up at one position as the two surfaces pivot from different locations. As such, if the hinges are even very slightly misaligned, the trailing edges will not align well when both surfaces are at neutral (I know this from recent experience). If the aileron's trailing edge is "shorter", then the aileron's hinge half on the upper edge of the rear spar is further forward than the flaps' hinge half on the lower edge of the rear spar--if the opposite is the case, then the hinge relative positions are also the opposite. To fix, one of the hinge halves on the rear spar has to be removed and repositioned (remove, make new hinge half, drill and install so hinge half is in the correct location). Easiest way is to remove hinge half and use it as a template for hole position in new hinge half so it aligned with existing spar and skin holes, moving the holes as appropriate to position the hinge correctly. This is actually very easy and relatively quick. The key is to ensure that the hinges are installed such that the flap and aileron trailing edges align when the two surfaces are at neutral.

As previously stated, most Sonex's are a you describe, and it is only cosmetic, especially if both wings are the same, as is often the case (I think the source of the error is that the relative plane of the wing is different depending on which side is up, so the hinges are really not "centered" on the wing spar trailing edge, despite appearing to be so, when initially drilled). On the other hand, since it was an easy fix and I caught mine before riveting the hinges on to the spar, I fixed mine. Everything aligns now, but only at neutral--as both surfaces are lowered, the aileron trailing edge again gets "shorter" appearing because its pivot point is higher....

Sorry for the long explanation--hopes this might help...

v/r

Doug
Douglas B Scripture
Sonex 1678
sonex1678

Postby XenosN42 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:14 pm

sonex1678 wrote:... and, second, the location of the flap and aileron hinges on the wing trailing edge (rear spar) may be slightly off.
v/r

Doug

FYI - The Xenos does not have flaps, so that part of your post isn't an issue.

-- Michael
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Return to Xenos