Differential Hydraulic Brakes?

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Xenos.

Re: Differential Hydraulic Brakes?

Postby Corby202 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:47 pm

Hi Brett, Have you considered a larger tailwheel??. I fitted a Peter Anson tailwheel. Primarily to get rid of the noise every time I landed but I noticed I had better control on the grass and gravel when taxying.
Phil Bird
Sonex 759 JAB 2.2 Tailwheel
Mittagong NSW Australia
http://www.mykitlog.com/corby202/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78427482@ ... otostream/
Corby202

Postby Brett » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:10 pm

I have the Sonex optioned tail wheel. Perhaps a pneumatic one might grip a bit more. I'm not sure of the size but it's the larger of the two options they had about 2 years ago when they came out.
Sonex 1645
VH-VWS
Tailwheel
Former Aerovee Turbo
Rotax 912
Brett

Postby fastj22 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:15 pm

I'm getting interest in making another set of brake pedals.
If I get 5, I'll do a production run. I won't be able to powder coat these, lost my oven. But if I get 10, I'll buy another oven.
PM me if you are interested.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby Waiex 49 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:00 pm

I'd like to offer an opinion on differential braking and John's brake pedals, for those who may be considering this option.

I just recently added a set of John's toe brake pedals to my Waiex, along with a set of Hegar master cylinders and a set of Sonex disc brakes.

I can't say enough good things about this setup. Differential braking is a great, but what I really love is being able to actuate the brakes with my feet instead of yanking on that old brake lever.

John did a nice job on these brake pedals! They fit nicely on the rudder pedals and the size, length, and geometry of the pedals works well for me and give me good control over the brakes.

Just my opinion for those who might be considering these brake pedals.

Fly safe,

Don Bowen
Viking Waiex
KLHM
Waiex 49

Postby N418SX » Wed May 29, 2019 10:43 am

John,

I'm interested in brake pedals for both sides of our Sonex. Ready when you get enough interest to do another batch.
IHN,
Robby Knox
rwknoxjr1959@gmail.com
Hazlehurst, GA
KAZE-Hangar 18
912-429-5761
N418XS Reserved
N418SX

Postby WaiexN143NM » Wed May 29, 2019 3:40 pm

Hi Robby,
I sent an email to flyboyacessories to see if they were still developing a toe brake kit for the sonex line. awaiting a reply. will post when i hear. it seemed after oshkosh last year they were going to develop a kit off of john gillis design. maybe johns knows more.........

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby WaiexN143NM » Thu May 30, 2019 12:05 am

Hi all,
Blake at flyboyaccessories says they have been very busy lately, but have hired a few more people,
one of the projects is the sonex hyd. toe brake kit. they will post on here when and if they finalize a kit.
If you are at oshkosh and want a toe brake kit, stop by their booth and let them know. also check out their other cool products.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby 142YX » Thu May 30, 2019 12:22 am

I have gotten a few pings about the custom pedals that I came up with a few years back... the links to the photos that I posted on page 3 of this thread had gone broken which left the design in the dark so I re-hosted the images and fixed the links on that original post. The template to making the parts out of 4130 .090" plate is still there in that post as well.

The parts were tig welded together & powder coated.. they pivot on a long 6" bolt through some hat bushings in holes drilled at the bottom of the rudder pedals, the upper master cylinder mount is welded to the brake pedals even though some bolt holes are shown in the template (I didn't use them, but I suppose they could also be bolted).

They work fantastically, the geometry is perfect and after 4 years of flying in gusty places I wouldn't change a thing about them.

Waiex # 142 - Taildragger, Jabiru 3300
First Flight - July 13th, 2015
450 hours and counting..
142YX

Postby adorizas » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:47 pm

I would like to get on a list to order a set of these if they are still being made.
adorizas

Previous

Return to Xenos