Progress!

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Xenos.

Progress!

Postby Ironflight » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:18 pm

It has been a tough week in the homebuilding community - we have all been affected by the loss of Jeremy, each in our own way. I got to know him through meetings at OSH and then through lots of email as we worked towards me flying the Subsonex this spring. He will be sorely missed - along with the growing list of friends I have lost in experimental aviation and aerospace operations over my lifetime. I have learned through experience that one of the best ways to honor the legacy of such a man is to continue on with their work - and we will continue to build our Xenos in his memory.

I know that I have been a bit remiss in posting about our Xenos project the past few months - but that doesn't mean we haven't been making some progress - it just means that I am too busy! Louise and I picked up another project, along with a partner early this year, and we have been putting a lot of time into that - a Dream Tundra bush plane. That is located at another Airpark near us, so we go down and work on it a few hours at a time. The Xenos gets worked on at home, anytime we have a few minutes to run out to the shop and make a part, or do some assembly. And, of course, we have testing projects for other people, the magazine, and companies to keep us busy.

But....today we have a fuselage box!

There are a few more fasteners to put in at this stage, but it is mostly self-supporting, and ready for us to move on to interior cockpit parts building. So far, everything is still fitting together well, and boy - pulled rivets sure do make the job go quickly! We had to come up with a clever sequence of movement to support the tailcone upside down on the edge of the table in order to easily work on the cockpit sides and bottom (we build a little shelf of plywood and rested the big cross-bar on that), but overall, assembly has been without incident. We're going to continue to leave the tailcone bottom skin clecoed for now, but I look forward to once again working with it right-side-up and building out cockpit fittings - working towards getting it on the gear so we can roll it into a corner and get to other things - like wings!

Paul
Paul Dye
"Ironflight"
Building a Xenos!
Ironflight

Re: Progress!

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:48 pm

Paul, good to see your latest picture. Looks like progress!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Return to Xenos