Opening up angles for long pieces - how do folks do it?

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Xenos.

Opening up angles for long pieces - how do folks do it?

Postby Ironflight » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:41 pm

I am looking at the Xenos F14 drawing, and see that we have to open or close angles to make a few long parts - the F14-08 and -09 specifically. I am quite comfortable adjusting angle for short pieces using a vice and hammer as shown in teh Sonex video - but am curious how folks get a nice straight and well-angled piece when it is a foot and a half or more long?

Paul
Paul Dye
"Ironflight"
Building a Xenos!
Ironflight

Re: Opening up angles for long pieces - how do folks do it?

Postby gammaxy » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:00 pm

I put them in a vice and squeezed every few inches or so until the full length was opened or closed to the desired angle. I ended up figuring out a rhythm like "twist four times, then move a few inches, twist four times, ...". I didn't try to open the angle all in one pass either, probably about half way per pass. You can easily sight down the angles to see where you need to open or close a little, and in the end the angles aren't really that critical anyway. Once you get the rhythm going, it only takes a few minutes per piece.

I think I used some aluminum against the vice jaws to prevent marring the angle. I also tried wood, but I think it crushed.
Chris Madsen
Aerovee Sonex N256CM
Flying since September 2014
Build log: http://chrismadsen.org
gammaxy

Postby ScottM-Sonex1629 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:01 pm

Use the same process as outlined in the video and repeat across the whole length of the angle!

I assume you are referring to the two wing attach angles on either side of the spar tunnel?

It helps to have angle angle guide that you can set to the desired angle, and keep checking your progress as you move down the angle.
Scott Meyer
Sonex 1629 - Sold...9/2019
ScottM-Sonex1629

Postby Rynoth » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:59 pm

I used a press and a socket, and pressed the socket into the angle a bit at a time along the length of the angle. Here are some pics.

Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby dtwolcott » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:36 am

For what it is worth, I bought a 1.5 foot long piece of black pipe from the hardware store. Don't remember the size either 1 1/2 or 2" diameter. Lay the pipe inside the angle and put into the vice to spread. This will not spread the whole angle at once so you do have to move the angle and pipe progressively along the length until you get the desired spread that you want. I think I had to move it three times, 1/3 of the length each time. You will want some vice jaw protectors that have a horizontal v groove in them to be able to hold both the angle and pipe in the vice without slipping. I got those from Home depot.
Don
Don
Waiex 132 N132YX
3MY
dtwolcott

Postby Ironflight » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:48 pm

Thanks everyone - apparently, no magic - just do it1

In the RV world, the big question new folks have is how to bend longerons - at least we don't have to do that on the Xenos!
Paul Dye
"Ironflight"
Building a Xenos!
Ironflight

Return to Xenos