Xenos Wing Tips

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Xenos.

Xenos Wing Tips

Postby Bob » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:18 am

Sure could use some help fitting these wing tips to the wing! I have installed the hinges on the wing. Several pilot holes in the tip for its hinges. Hinges appear to fit together. I have used grease, drill attached to hinge pin, wife jiggling tip, several cuss words to no avail. Can't get one of the pins in the last few inches.

Any suggestions would be helpful. I would buy the smaller tips but Kerry mentioned that they take the plane out of the "powered glider cat."

Bob Xenos #59
Bob

Re: Xenos Wing Tips

Postby racaldwell » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:52 pm

Hi Bob,

Did you figure out a way to get those hinge pins in? I'm almost ready to start placing the ribs on the spars so later on in the year I should be mounting wing tips. I'm still considering making some that weigh less.

Rick in FL
racaldwell

Postby Bob » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:32 pm

Rick,
Finally found at fix for the wing tips (might as well admit it-a friend building an RV mentioned it). Anyway, I stopped the hinge at the spar. Added anchor nuts on a strip of metal from spar to where the hinge ended. Screws top and bottom through tip into anchor nuts.

Are you guys meeting up on Sat. after S&F? I sure learned a lot last year and got a lot of encouragement!

Bob Xenos #59
Bob

Postby racaldwell » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:50 pm

Bob,

Thanks for the pointer. I don't know how Phil did it. He had hinges all the way. Must have turned down the pins or something.

I would guess the answer is yes to meeting after SNF. But I haven't heard anything yet from the FL Sonex group. They are having a lunch there this weekend. Also there is an acro contest going on there starting tomorrow. Sounds like fun but i have a weekend of alodining the ribs as the last step before assembling the wing structures. I'm gonna try to fit both in the hangar at the same time.

Rick
racaldwell

Return to Xenos