Implementing XNS-SB-001 During Build

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Xenos.

Re: Implementing XNS-SB-001 During Build

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:43 pm

For critical bolts you want to spin the nut, not spin the bolt in the holes as that opens them up.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Re: Implementing XNS-SB-001 During Build

Postby racaldwell » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:45 am

Rudder Hinge Riveting Spacer Sm.jpg
Keystock used to squeeze solid rivets

This was an easy way to rivet the aft channel without interfering with the doubler required for the SB. I riveted the left aft side skin and bolted/torqued the top and bottom bolts with the right aft side skin removed. The left hinge and rear channel was riveted with 426AD4 rivets and I had to use a 1/4" piece of keystock as a spacer because my rivet squeezer set could not reach in the tight spot because the hinge and Y are in the way. The keystock spacer working fine in squeezing the rivets. I then bolted the six bolts that go in the tailwheel mount and torqued them while the right side skin was off. Then I clecoed on the rt aft side skin and riveted the right side of the aft channel with 426AD4 rivets. The bolt heads in the tailwheel mount interfered with the squeezer set so I used the CCC44 rivets for those but that is down below the Y doubler so not interference issues. The right side skin is then tucked up under the fuselage box side skin and is ready for riveting. I will do that Saturday. Most of the rivets I can buck from the holes in the top and bottom and should only need a dozen or so CCC42 rivets.

Rick Caldwell
Xenos 0057
Attachments
Rudder Hinge Riveting Complete Sm.jpg
Hinge riveting completed
racaldwell

Previous

Return to Xenos