Weight of a Xenos wing (39" Acro version)

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Xenos.

Weight of a Xenos wing (39" Acro version)

Postby vigilant104 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:21 pm

I'm working on some back-of-the-envelope calculations: Can anyone tell me the weight of a Xenos wing (39' version, the whole thing or one complete side)?

Thanks,
Mark
Mark Waldron
Sonex 1230 (Builder: Jay Gibbs)
Aerovee, Trigear
vigilant104

Re: Weight of a Xenos wing (39" Acro version)

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:12 pm

Are you thinking about building one Mark? :)

I wish I had a good number for you but I don't really know. Have you asked the factory?
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby vigilant104 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:30 pm

MichaelFarley56 wrote:Are you thinking about building one Mark? :)
Oh, no, no. I'll bother the guys at Sonex later.
Mark Waldron
Sonex 1230 (Builder: Jay Gibbs)
Aerovee, Trigear
vigilant104

Postby XenosTed » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:44 am

Mark, I am glad you have an interest in the Xenos wing. I really like mine. I understand the airfoil is by the late F.X. Wortman, aeronautics professor at U of Stuttgart. The chord of the Xenos wing is much shorter than the regular Sonex (I remember 4"??). BUT most important is to remember the rest of the Xenos fuselage is NOT like the Sonex in several critical points. I have come to really like the Video by Jeremy Monnett found at http://www.sonexaircraft.com/aircraft/xenos.html . Notice especially what he says near the beginning about the fuselage length (more leverage) and the larger tail surfaces. "horses for courses" he says. Sonex is a great little "fighter plane". Xenos is a great soaring gentle giant. If I could, I would own one of each (actually a Onex would be great.) But I wait patiently for the e initiative to produce the plug n play electric propulsion for my present Xenos :-)
PS also our Xenos wing is the only one of the present Sonex group with a fixed trailing edge (no flaps)
XenosTed

Return to Xenos