Landing light

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Xenos.

Landing light

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:09 pm

Bob from VA here. Getting ready to close up Rt. wing. I want to install a landing light (either this or the left wing). Kerry advised putting it near outside of wing (less stress). I did buy a led light from John at "ADVMonster". Seems to be pretty bright. Any advice about bracket, placement, cover, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks
Bob

Re: Landing light

Postby racaldwell » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:50 pm

Hi Bob,

Do you look at the Duckworks Aviation site? They make the kit for LE lights in Sonex, etc. I used the RMD wingtip lights in my RV-6 so I don't have any experience with their LE lights. Then I never fly at night so those lights never get used, well, occasionally for visibility.

Rick in FL
racaldwell

Postby vicdelgado9 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:00 pm

I have just purchased my landing/taxi lights as well as I am also getting ready to close up my wings soon.
After much research, I decided to go with the Rigid D2 Led Driving pattern. They have decent light output, well constructed and most of all American made. I am trying to put as much American made product in my project as possible.

I have not had a chance to see them or try them out yet, as they will be at home waiting for me when I get back home from working abroad.

I also plan on installing them as many others near the end of the wing.
Vic Delgado
Sonex "CorVex" #969 Plans
3.0L Corvair, tail dragger, single stick
Houston, TX
Expercraft Builders Log
complete: tail,wings, welded & angle parts
"Old Corvairs never die, They just earn their wings".
vicdelgado9

Postby mike.smith » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:09 pm

Bob wrote:Bob from VA here. Getting ready to close up Rt. wing. I want to install a landing light (either this or the left wing). Kerry advised putting it near outside of wing (less stress). I did buy a led light from John at "ADVMonster". Seems to be pretty bright. Any advice about bracket, placement, cover, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks

The only advice I have for placement is to make sure the beam stays out of the prop arc or you'll light up the propeller disk, which won't do your night vision any good. Mine happens to be between the outboard wing tip ribs. I have the Duckworks light, that came as a well made kit.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby daleandee » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:18 pm

Last edited by daleandee on Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daleandee

Postby onex28 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:19 am

I had a Cherokee 160 with the landing light in the cowl and never had the propellor arc light up. Maybe that's why the back of the prop was painted black. I believe Piper still puts landing lights in the cowl and I've seen Cessna's with cowl mounted lights. If possible I plan to cowl mount a light in my ONEX. $.02
onex28

Postby daleandee » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:05 am

daleandee

Return to Xenos