Xenos Empennage noise

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Xenos.

Xenos Empennage noise

Postby trwolf » Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:36 pm

Has anyone experienced banging noises from the empennage area during engine off slow flight? I have tried to video the tail and fuselage for signs of any unexpected movements or flexing and can see nothing in the post flights, but during slow flight with engine off, it sounds like someone is back there with a hammer. I experience this when below 60 mph indicated. For sure between 55 adn 58 mph. No signs of damage or loose fittings on pre flights. I am going to reposition the camera on the underside next time to see if there is any movement there.

I just got thinking I wonder if it could be too close tolerance on the push pull tubes?
trwolf

Re: Xenos Empennage noise

Postby XenosN42 » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:37 pm

Could just be simple’oil canning’ noise. I heard that when I flew my Xenos with the engine off.
-- Michael
OneX N169XE
author of the 'Flight Data Viewer'
XenosN42

Postby BRS » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:07 pm

trwolf wrote:Has anyone experienced banging noises from the empennage area during engine off slow flight? I have tried to video the tail and fuselage for signs of any unexpected movements or flexing and can see nothing in the post flights, but during slow flight with engine off, it sounds like someone is back there with a hammer. I experience this when below 60 mph indicated. For sure between 55 adn 58 mph. No signs of damage or loose fittings on pre flights. I am going to reposition the camera on the underside next time to see if there is any movement there.

I just got thinking I wonder if it could be too close tolerance on the push pull tubes?

My hangar neighbor flies an RV6. He was having baning noise. His first thought was a seat belt out side the door (like happens in cessnas frequently). He looked and looked, actually found some serious unrelated things to fix, but couldn't find it. Finally he noticed some scuff marks on the side of the fuslage above the wing. Then he figured it out. The rubber wing root seal was sitting in perfect alignment looking rather inocent. But when he touched it, it was completly loose. Moral of the story. Don't just look at things but touch to assure they are secure.

Good luck, let us know what you find.
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby bvolcko38 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:22 pm

The only noises I have encountered were normal "oil canning"
Bill Volcko XNS0068
Xenos A N68WV 99% flush rivets