Stites Cleanex SNX-0414

Use this area to create a thread with photos from your build.

Stites Cleanex SNX-0414

Postby flyguy0609 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:09 pm

I figure it's about time for me to get this going. I purchased my Sonex from an estate. It was for everything identifiable as airplane related. It included a disassembled Corvair engine (including a bunch of William Wynn "gold" parts and a Weseman installed 5th bearing (with SPA invoice.),engine mount and nose bowl. Lots of misc. stuff, literally enough rivets to fill a 5 gallon bucket. It was literally a basket case.

And ... I have absolutely zero experience building an airplane.

My Dunning Kruger side was in full tilt.

Stay tuned for the next installment...
Attachments
IMG_1301.JPG
flyguy0609

Re: Stites Cleanex SNX-0414

Postby BobDz » Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:23 pm

[quote="flyguy0609"]

And ... I have absolutely zero experience building an airplane.
[/quote

Everyone starts somewhere.
Just like eating an elephant, one bite at a time.
Bob Dz...
Sonex B, Tri-gear
(technically within walking distance of Sonex)
N624DZ (reserved)

Plans exist to eliminate confusion, not create it.
BobDz

Re: Stites Cleanex SNX-0414

Postby flyguy0609 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:10 pm

20240407_Vertical stab front view.jpg
The first thing to do was to try and figure out what exactly I had. The aft fuselage side skins were corroded way beyond repair with heavy white corrosion and deeply pitted. They were trashed. The upper and lower wing skins were showing much less white corrosion, and I decided they needed to be replaced. The few parts that were riveted had anywhere from 25% to 40% bad rivets, so I decided to reject anything with rivets.

Finding a home for the project was net easy. I live in a high-rise condo in large urban area, no chance of "home" building. I was unable to find any space that was suitable within 50 miles. I ended up hitting pay dirt when I went to EAA chapter 260 at C56. I reached out to Jay Vieaux, an EAA technical counselor at 260 and I can't say enough about him. My hangar is next to his and he stops by at least once a weekend. The support I get from him, and the rest of the chapter, is phenomenal. It's good to be in a community of builders.

I'm feeling a bit frustrated about my progress lately. Life happens, Thanksgiving through new years is always slow build time, I made progress in Jan and Feb, and March. This month I has been slow at the hangar, Spent time in Texas visiting my Grand-kids and this weekend I'm recovering from oral surgery. (ugh)

Progress to date. Vertical stabilizer is ready to have the skin riveted. Not happy with the fiberglass tips. They were cut and pilot drilled by the previous builder, I'm trying to decide if I should Use, replace or fabricate the stabilizer tips. Jay is an expert with an English Wheel. The glass tips are asymmetric about the vertical longitudinal axis. see photos.

The vertical stab appears to lean to the left because it is only clamped to the table on the left side. I found the asymmetry in another Sonex of the same vintage as my kit.

What a long strange trip it's been....
Attachments
20240407_rudder & vert stab 1.jpg
flyguy0609

Return to Photo Album