Scott's Sonex 1629 - N629SX

Use this area to create a thread with photos from your build.

Re: Scott's Sonex #1629 - Progress

Postby Mike53 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:22 pm

ScottM-Sonex1629 wrote:
Oh, I also took advantage of the Sonex spring sale today and ordered my engine w/ pre-assembled crank shaft/prop hub. I'm going with the AeroVee 2.1. That should keep my motivated to continue pushing ahead with the fuselage,

Okay I guess I missed it.What sale and where and when did I miss the announcement.I can't seem to find anything at the Sonex site about it :?:
Thanks.
Mike
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Postby Rynoth » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:31 pm

Mike53 wrote:Okay I guess I missed it.What sale and where and when did I miss the announcement.I can't seem to find anything at the Sonex site about it :?:
Thanks.
Mike

It's the first article on the homepage.... :mrgreen:

"Announcing the Sonex Aircraft "Wings for Spring" Event: Buy Now and Save!"
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby ScottM-Sonex1629 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:39 pm

Like Ryan said, it's on Sonex's web-site homepage....they also sent out an email on Friday if you are registered for email updates and news!

Scott Meyer
Sonex 1629 - Sold...9/2019
ScottM-Sonex1629

Postby Mike53 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:53 pm

Ah ,that explains it.I keep the Onex page as the home page on my computer and I clicked on press releases which did not give the sale info.Thanks
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Postby ScottM-Sonex1629 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:17 pm

Now that the winter is starting to break, my local Waiex/Sonex brethren have convinced me (didn't take much) to get up in the air for my first flight(s) in a Sonex type aircraft. Last weekend, and again this morning, Mr. Steve Stahl, proud new owner of Waiex #0054 was kind enough to take me flying. On our first flight he quickly handed me the controls on climb out, and I had stick time for almost an hour. Today after engine start...he asked if I wanted to take off. Of course I did. Steve's Waiex is a tri-gear, Jabiru 3300 powered bird. Engine response with both of us on board is amazing. It's got me thinking about the AeroVee I have ordered... Anyway, today I flew us over to another regional/local airport and did about 4-5 touch and go's. I think my first landing was probably the best but they were all passable (no bent gear or severe bounces!). After climb out from the airport I handed the controls back over to Steve so I could relax and enjoy the flying and take a few photos.

Steve in the pilot seat and I'm in the right seat

Steve's panel with MGL Enigma

We flew over my campus at work (Honda R&D Americas). I'm kinda proud of this place, I am the campus Architect and we have been growing like crazy the last 3-4 years since the economy started getting better and after the 2011 earthquake/tsunami in Japan

On downwind back at KMRT
Scott Meyer
ScottM-Sonex1629

Postby ScottM-Sonex1629 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:49 pm

In addition to the flying, I've been making progress on the tail cone/fuselage. Right and left side panels are done, riveted and partially polished. Today I joined the rear side together to see how it looks.

Scott Meyer
ScottM-Sonex1629

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:12 pm

Tailcone looks good. I am going with sport trainer controls (center throttle, flaps, trim, brakes) so either side can be the pilot's seat. Joe says they often solo the sport trainers from the right so you have the stick in your right hand.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby ScottM-Sonex1629 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:04 pm

I haven't decided on the sport trainer or left side controls yet. I'm 6'-3" and my son is going to be just as tall if not taller. Squeezing into Steve's Waiex is interesting with the sport trainer (center controls). It's nice they are in the middle but it takes away some leg room.
Scott Meyer
ScottM-Sonex1629

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:19 pm

At the factory, in some of the trainers they have a left side throttle and an auxillary right side throttle. The left side throttle is the aeroconversions quadrant. The right side throttle is a push-pull cable that loops around under the instrument panel and connects to the aeroconversions quadrant. Not a bad setup, gives you throttle from the copilot side but not flaps and brakes. I am not going to hit 6'3" anytime soon - seem to be stuck at 5' 7.5" and shrinking. The center controls seemed ok.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:24 pm

Looking great Scott! You're making excellent progress on the aft fuselage. You'll have that thing done by the time it warms up!

It's great that Steve is flying so much, and taking passengers as well. I think he's really enjoying his Waiex and has done a great job making it even better than when he got it! One of these days, we'll have to head over to Urbana or similar. We'll get Mark Waldron in on that as well to have a mini Sonex fly-inn!

Control placement is an interesting thought. Since I'm flying my Waiex solo nearly all of the time, I'm happy with my throttle on the left side. If I had a Jab 3300 and was planning on a lot of passenger carrying, I would have seriously considered a centrally mounted throttle. I'm fine with brakes and flaps on the left side (I like the legroom!) but as an instructor, if I'm in the right seat I'd want easy access to the throttle. Just my two cents...
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Album