billy's plans built sonex 1735

Use this area to create a thread with photos from your build.

Re: billy's plans built sonex 1735

Postby Rofomoto » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:16 pm

Thanx Wes for all the encouragement..
Longassproject
E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles (next year 16- 0)
Rofomoto

Postby Matt541 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:16 am

Congrats Billy!

The weather was absolutely perfect yesterday too, no wind up here.

Still got some bugs I'm working out, will have to stop by soon.
Sonex 541, TD, Center Stick, Revmaster w/ Prince P <SOLD>
:arrow: Anxiously awaiting the new Highwing
Matt541

Postby Darick » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:11 pm

Really nice landing.
Darick Gundy
Sonex #1646
N417DG
Taildragger, Aerovee, center stick, Prince P-Tip Prop
MGL E1, F2, V6 radio, Sandia Xponder, Reserve lift indicator (AOA), iFly 520
First flight! 10/21/2017
Darick

Postby Rofomoto » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:05 pm

Matt541 wrote:Congrats Billy!

The weather was absolutely perfect yesterday too, no wind up here.

Still got some bugs I'm working out, will have to stop by soon.

Any time
Longassproject
Rofomoto

Postby Rofomoto » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:24 am

Holly crap is this thing fun!!! Can believe I scared myself so much after my first flight 4 months ago that it took till last week to get going again. 5 flights in since last week so far and boy is it great!!! Keep building gang it’s well worth it !!
Longassproject
Rofomoto

Postby Rofomoto » Sun May 02, 2021 9:19 pm

Really starting to get the hang of this. One question to those that have done or doing their phase 1 flying...did you concentrate on a lot of maneuvers in the beginning or just being able to land with some confidence? Thanx billy
Longassproject
Rofomoto

Postby Scott Todd » Mon May 03, 2021 6:24 pm

Follow your flight test cards. One landing per flight early on. You want some time and confidence in the engine before you start touch and go's. When I test, we usually stick to one landing per hour average for the first ten or so. Then if they want to work on landings, we go to an airport with forgiving terrain around it. Of course out here in the Desert SW that's easier than for you folks back east.

BTW, Additional Pilot Program is awesome! I asked about plans built airplanes and was told by a local FAA examiner that something like a Sonex built per plans is same as a Kit built. Many kits are just all the parts in one place. They wanted to exclude one-offs for safety. You essentially bought sub-kits from them. Spars, canopy, etc. Don't remember his name. Get Sarah to go thru the APP checklist. She'll qualify and can go with you. A few hours of dual will make you a different pilot ;)

And for every flight, first five, I ask people to take cowling off for postflight or next preflight. I know its hard on some airplanes but its amazing what you learn.

More videos :) Keep us posted.

Scott
Scott Todd

Postby Rofomoto » Mon May 03, 2021 8:08 pm

Thanx scott... I think you could get around the plans built requirement but it also says dual controls for each person. Ok so I should start heading out for more testing according to my phase 1 cards. I’ve bin flying just about every day since I finally got off the ground but have bin concentrating mainly on takeoffs and landings and establishing RPM and speed changes. Sounds like it’s time to head up high and start getting some flight numbers. I was just so scared about landing this thing I wanted to make sure I could land comfortably. I have removed the cowling every other time so far. This engine is solid!
I’ve had to do no adjustments. Very pleased.
Longassproject
Rofomoto

Postby Scott Todd » Tue May 04, 2021 12:02 pm

Sounds like you are being careful and conscientious :) Good! Expect it to quit on EVERY take-off. Its new and you want to always be prepared. You can work on a lot of those test cards over the airport. There is nothing wrong with doing big laps at 2000-3000 ft to check off some of those boxes. You'll be well above the pattern but close enough to home to get back if something happens. If you plan and train for the worse, Murphy says it won't happen. But there are plenty of accident reports here where people were not prepared. If it ever quits, push the nose down and pick a spot. The airport would be nice but the most important thing is to FLY the darn airplane. DON'T let the nose get above the horizon until you are ready to flare. When you start to get some confidence, practice simulated engine outs from your test altitude. Practice various speeds on the way down and notice the nose NEVER goes above the horizon. Get this in your head. Remember, you'll walk away from everything BUT a stall-spin.

And we want pictures :)

Awesome job! Keep flying.

Scott
Scott Todd

Postby Rofomoto » Tue May 04, 2021 4:33 pm

Thanks scott... all good advice..as far as video and pics. I’ve bin concentrating to much on flying I forget to get the phone out for pics. Lol. I will soon.
Longassproject
Rofomoto

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Album