Mike's Sonex Project

Use this area to create a thread with photos from your build.

Mike's Sonex Project

Postby samiam » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:44 am

Tail kit arrived the first week of December! I was traveling for work and didn't get a chance to dive in until the weekend of 12/5, and got started with the HS. After about 10 days of work and about 15 shop hours, the HS is completed... you know except for all of the challenging stuff like the fiberglass tips, polishing, and mating to the elevators :) Even still, the kit quality and speed that it went together was amazing -- even feeling like I was taking my time and doing an OCD deburring job, and doing things like fixing the angle pieces if they were off by 1 degree from the factory. I am very pleased with the kit so far.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0U7g1 ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0U7g1 ... sp=sharing
Mike L
Sonex #1345
Tail complete
Working on wings
samiam

Re: Mike's Sonex Project

Postby Rynoth » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:07 am

Nice Mike, you're flying! It took me about 50 hours to do the Waiex tail feathers (not including polishing) but they are 2 seperate structures and larger, probably a bit like building 2 Sonex tails.

Don't forget to keep a good log and take some pictures of yourself performing work on the build, the FAA likes that kind of stuff come inspection time (to prove it was you building the thing!)
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:20 am

Looks great Mike! Just wait until you get to the wings. I have been very impressed with how easy they go together.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby samiam » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:39 am

Rynoth wrote:Nice Mike, you're flying! It took me about 50 hours to do the Waiex tail feathers (not including polishing) but they are 2 seperate structures and larger, probably a bit like building 2 Sonex tails.

Don't forget to keep a good log and take some pictures of yourself performing work on the build, the FAA likes that kind of stuff come inspection time (to prove it was you building the thing!)

Thanks Ryan! Yeah, I estimate that it'll take a good 75 or so hours to finish the tail, but I'm in no rush. It is a very enjoyable kit to work with.
Mike L
Sonex #1345
Tail complete
Working on wings
samiam

Postby samiam » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:40 am

Bryan Cotton wrote:Looks great Mike! Just wait until you get to the wings. I have been very impressed with how easy they go together.

That's good to know! Looking at everyone's build log they look a bit intimidating, but I guess like every other part they just need to be taken one step at a time.
Mike L
Sonex #1345
Tail complete
Working on wings
samiam

Postby Rynoth » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:23 pm

I miss building the fuselage (you will too I suspect), it really is motivating to see the parts take shape and the kit is awesome. For me (and I'm guessing for most) the project slows down a bit (both in terms of time spent working and in days passing by) the more completed the aircraft gets as you venture off into more customized arenas (engine, instrument panel/electrical system) and custom-fit versus laser cut parts (windshield/canopy, cowling, etc.) That's not to say that the build gets any less satisfying, only that the learning curve is appropriate and managable. The early addictions are the fuel that drives the more technically (and patience) challenging parts of the later project. It looks to me that you've got what it takes!

It looks to me that you're building in a garage/basement? That's what I did and my advice is to keep it there for as long as you can stand, once you move it to a hangar (especially one that isn't just down the road) it can become a lot more difficult to find the hours needed to finish the thing off.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby DCASonex » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:34 pm

samiam wrote:
Bryan Cotton wrote:Looks great Mike! Just wait until you get to the wings. I have been very impressed with how easy they go together.

That's good to know! Looking at everyone's build log they look a bit intimidating, but I guess like every other part they just need to be taken one step at a time.

No need to be intimidated, The more you build, the more efficient you become.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby samiam » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:11 am

Rynoth wrote:I miss building the fuselage (you will too I suspect), it really is motivating to see the parts take shape and the kit is awesome. For me (and I'm guessing for most) the project slows down a bit (both in terms of time spent working and in days passing by) the more completed the aircraft gets as you venture off into more customized arenas (engine, instrument panel/electrical system) and custom-fit versus laser cut parts (windshield/canopy, cowling, etc.) That's not to say that the build gets any less satisfying, only that the learning curve is appropriate and managable. The early addictions are the fuel that drives the more technically (and patience) challenging parts of the later project. It looks to me that you've got what it takes!

It looks to me that you're building in a garage/basement? That's what I did and my advice is to keep it there for as long as you can stand, once you move it to a hangar (especially one that isn't just down the road) it can become a lot more difficult to find the hours needed to finish the thing off.

Thanks for all of the support from everyone, it is really encouraging! And yes, good point about the building location Ryan. I am in the basement which is on the same level as the garage. I will stay in the basement for the tail and wings (since it's heated) and then do the fuselage in the adjacent garage. The size of the sonex was a huge draw - it really fits my workspace well.
Mike L
Sonex #1345
Tail complete
Working on wings
samiam

Postby samiam » Wed May 18, 2016 2:20 pm

Haven't updated my project in forever!

The tail is finished (except for some fiberglass/finishing work)... no photos

It's been on to the wings. Ribs modified and gussets done:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0U7g ... JNQWtjTlcw

Now working on the bellcranks. Soon I'll get to mate the spars and take the famous photo!
Mike L
Sonex #1345
Tail complete
Working on wings
samiam

Return to Photo Album