Adventures of Glenn and Sonex #600.

Use this area to create a thread with photos from your build.

Adventures of Glenn and Sonex #600.

Postby vwglenn » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:15 pm

Figured I'd start a thread on N889AP and random stuff that may or may not be realated.

As some of you may have guessed by my screen name, I'm a fan of old VWs which is one of the reasons I've been drawn to Sonex. At one point I was dead set on building a Sonex but decided to just buy one instead for a multitude of reasons. Ironically I bought a Jab3300 powered Sonex. Just couldn't resist the allure of the power (especially since I got a really good deal). My journey started at Sun-N-Fun where I drooled over RV-8s. Then my dad pointed out the funky looking Sonex one time and remarked that VWs were an option for it. At the time I was driving this...
...and, unlike the RV-8, the Sonex price seemed attainable to me. So I became obsessed with the Sonex. I figured I'd build one and fly it. I was, however, a reasonable guy and had never considered a project that big before. I had no idea if I could handle it. Plus I was just finishing college and learning to fly so I was broke.

Fast forward a few years down the road and I'm still attending Sun-N-Fun and starting to consider flying again as I'm ow established in a career and earning some decent money. Still I wonder if I can justify the purchase of a twelve thousand dollar box of aluminium. I decide to test myself by rebuilding my trusty Beetle. Four years later I came out with this...
Now I knew I could actually get the job done but wasn't so sure I wanted to spend the time doing it. Especially since I had built another car during the time I was still building the Dune Buggy. I picked up my Microbus for a whopping $250 dollars and took it from this...

To this...

Still my former days of flight and the desire for a Sonex continued to haunt me. I still could not justify the expense of purchasing a plane. Then a friend at work and I got together to purchase a plane. I schooled him in all things Sonex and tride like mad to get him to buy one with me. Alas, he wanted to be able to haul cargo. I caved and told him that if we needed to haul cargo we must do it in a somewhat cool fashion and we bought this...
...it wasn't a Sonex but at least I would be able to dust off my old pilot certificate and be back in the game. I enjoyed my 170. It was a reliable, fun, and inexpensive plane that allowed me several trips to Oshkosh where I always lingered in that little area near the warbirds with the factory yellow hot rods (compared to my bird anyway). Then, a few months ago, we sold our trusty 170.

It had been a decade since I started wishing for my Sonex. I just couldn't wait to build one and decided to purchase one which was already flying. I finally made a deal on N889AP Sonex #600. Drove to Texas, loaded it up on a trailer, and took her home where she currently sits with wings still in the racks while I bring her back up to speed. She's not a show winner but will suit me just fine.

The night I arrived in Austin to pick her up...

Wings off and ready to load up...
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10629691_10204248762852119_6190919350432661021_n.jpg?oh=cdccd8fffe510bd83e3186606fe8ef82&oe=55338668&__gda__=1429968653_078b1f8965a4b5bb9c7a0572b510dd96

Loaded up...

Lunch...

Back home. Tucked in all snug...

The work has begun. I started breaking down the panel because I wasn't pleased at all with the way it was set up. I'm reusing everything but slightly rearranging it and making it more finished looking. I'm the third owner of the aircraft and the steam panel was replaced at some point by an Enigma. Consequently, when I pulled the fascia panel I found the remnants of the old steam panel behind it...

So I set to work and have got as far as cutting and fitting a new fascia panel. The local avionics shop has a CNC machine (found out after I already spent the better part of a day running back and forth to a local foot sheer and bending break) and he's going to cut all the new panel holes for me. Went through much of the wiring and will surely put it back together a whole lot neater. Relocating the throttle and mixture to the pilot's left...

More to come.
Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn

Re: Adventures of Glenn and Sonex #600.

Postby ihab » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:43 am

Thank you once again Glenn for sharing the pictures of your lovely VWs!

As for the Sonex -- does it look like you are using piano hinges to attach the panel?

Ihab
Ihab Awad, San Jose, CA
ihab

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:35 am

ihab wrote:As for the Sonex -- does it look like you are using piano hinges to attach the panel?

I don't mean to answer for Glenn, but after looking at his pictures it appears the builder constructed his glareshield with a removeable panel, held in with piano hinges, for ease of access behind the panel. Note that this removeable portion of the glareshiled only goes from the top of the panel forward to around the back edge of the fuel tank, and does not quite go all the way to the upper longerons on the sides.

Overall, quite a practical way to gain access to the back of the panel! This modification would permit easy access for wiring, panel components, etc. I'm not saying this would be a factory endorsed option, but it is a neat idea!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby Gripdana » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:38 am

Hi Glenn,
Glad to see you finally got a Sonex. But I really like what you have done to the VW's. I have a 73' Fastback that is going to be my next project. I'd like to get some advice sometime are you in California or close (by plane)?
Dana Baker
Scratch Built
First Flight March 8, 2015
Sonex #1534 - N1534S "Aluminum Foil"
Aerovee-Dual Controls-Tail Dragger
Gripdana

Postby ihab » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:31 pm

MichaelFarley56 wrote:... after looking at his pictures it appears the builder constructed his glareshield with a removeable panel...

I looked more carefully and you're right. Cool! :)

My mom had a VW Igala (aka Brasilia) back when we lived in Nigeria. If we still had it, I could be restoring it, or maybe using the engine for a Sonex!

Ihab
Ihab Awad, San Jose, CA
ihab

Postby fastj22 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:21 pm

That glareshield mod with the piano hinges is probably the best panel mod I've seen.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby rbarber » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:40 pm

I recognize that Sonex! I hope you enjoy it!

Rob.
rbarber

Postby vwglenn » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:32 am

The actual panel isn't held in place with piano hinge. It's firmly riveted in there on either side. The cover (if you will) is a single piece which, in fact, is held in place by piano hinge on three sides. Closest to the pilot, it's held in place by floating nuts and screws. It does allow for some easy access to the wiring behind though which gives you good room to tinker without having to rip everything out. Although the EFIS was functional and nothing was frightening back there, I wasn't terribly pleased with some of the routing of the wires and wanted to add a trim indicator for the RA Servo. I also wanted to move the controls to the pilots left instead of the center.
Gripdana wrote:Hi Glenn,
Glad to see you finally got a Sonex. But I really like what you have done to the VW's. I have a 73' Fastback that is going to be my next project. I'd like to get some advice sometime are you in California or close (by plane)?

I live in GA but am always available for advice. To me it doesn't look like the Fasty needs much work though. I resurrected a 69 Squareback not too long ago. It was the smoothest riding VW I've ever had. Drove my bus to Cali and back for "The Classic" in 2012. That was an epic trip!
rbarber wrote:I recognize that Sonex! I hope you enjoy it!

Rob.

Thanks. Yours is the only video I've seen of it in action. I hope to remedy that soon.
Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn

Postby vwglenn » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:29 am

Was able to get a little work done this week. It was pretty cold here and I just couldn't force myself to head out to the hangar as much as I'd like.

Got the holes cut in my panel...

Test fit to make sure everything would clear...
Looks like it's going to work. Empty holes on either side are for the Eyeball vents on backorder from Spruce. Mag leads are too short. Going to have to reroute or lengthen them.
Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn

Postby vwglenn » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:57 am

So it doesn't look like I've done much of anything but I finally have everything rewired and flipped the switch. Happy to report that none of the "magic smoke" escaped any of the equipment. Now tearing it all down (again), adding paint and final assembly/tidy up.

Glenn
Sonex #600
N889AP
vwglenn

Next

Return to Photo Album