Scott's Sonex 1629 - N629SX

Use this area to create a thread with photos from your build.

Re: Scott's Sonex #1629 - Progress

Postby Darick » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:57 am

[quote="ScottM-Sonex1629"]Darick:

I originally had one switch and one circuit breaker for the "avionics" which included the EFIS and Radio. Why did I change, well after reading the instructions for both the MGL Xtreme and V6 com, and several other publications for reducing EMF interference issues, I decided last week to spilt the two apart. Also the MGL devices do not have their own internal on and off switch. So on startup of the avionics you get everything powered up. I wanted to be able to isolate the EFIS/EMS monitor (Xtreme) and then turn on the radio after startup, to keep the electrical load reduced. And yes, if I add a transponder, AHRS, and Magnetometer in the future they will be powered off the same "avionics" switch and source.

Scott, I agree, not having their own internal on/off switch is a good logical reason for adding a switch on your panel...I'll add that design consideration to my panel. Also the labels on your panel look really professional. Thanks for the reply.
Darick Gundy
Sonex #1646
N417DG
Taildragger, Aerovee, center stick, Prince P-Tip Prop
MGL E1, F2, V6 radio, Sandia Xponder, Reserve lift indicator (AOA), iFly 520
First flight! 10/21/2017
Darick

Postby ScottM-Sonex1629 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:59 am

Darick, your welcome and thanks for the compliment on the labels.

I was going to do the dry transfer letters that I saw Dana Baker use, until I went to submit my order...the price was more than I wanted to spend.

My labels were made using a Brother label maker, recently acquired by my wife at Costco (think SAMs Club had a similar model). I bought an extra label cartridge that was 1/2" wide, white letters on clear tape. I played around with the fonts, tab distance and border settings until I achieved what you see. The labels are UV stable, and really hard to remove once adhered (but they do come off if needed).
Scott Meyer
Sonex 1629 - Sold...9/2019
ScottM-Sonex1629

Postby ScottM-Sonex1629 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:49 pm

Completed the COM antenna wiring tonight, and tested the MGL V6! It works very well. Intercom functions on both sides, and the MP3 input works right out of the box. Tested the transmission and reception using my portable handset and it seem like the antenna works (so far)...

Locked in the iPad mini, brought up ForeFlight and here is what the panel looks like all lit up.

I'm very happy with the way the panel has turned out. It's a modern budget build. I'm running the Xtreme only on the GPS receiver and pitot/static input (for now).

I also tested out each circuit in my lighting system with the multi-meter and all of my connections at the weather packs are working (showing 12v).

Today I made a checklist of the items I need/want to complete behind the panel and firewall before I close up the glareshield and mount the fuel tank.
Scott Meyer
ScottM-Sonex1629

Postby ScottM-Sonex1629 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:49 pm

Last night I completed my checklist for preparing to close up the foreward fuselage

My last big job was installing, wiring and testing these mini red LED lights under the panel (and there is one in the panel) which are switched with the navigation lights.

Refitted the glareshield and made sure the filler neck was cut down enough for the tank to fit below the cowling. And then I riveted the glareshield in place.

I liked the extended glareshield lip that Sonex has on the factory plane, but my Xtreme and iPad mini sit up to high for the lip to be flat. My solution is to break a small 1-1/2" long section of aluminum and then lap the top edge over the side. My plan is to cover the glareshield in the same vinyl as I'm using on the seats, then use a vinyl edge trim to finish off the lip.

Scott Meyer
ScottM-Sonex1629

Postby ScottM-Sonex1629 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:02 pm

The extended lip on the glareshield is finished and riveted in place.

Scott Meyer
ScottM-Sonex1629

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:47 pm

Scott,
I admire how done you are on each task. I feel like I will have a lot of loose ends to clean up.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby ScottM-Sonex1629 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:25 pm

Thanks Bryan. I'm a man on a mission...for first flight this spring.

How many friends would come over and spend over two hours on their back upside down in your fuselage? Well Steve Stahl (Waiex #56) did just that today, and with his help, we got,the bolts through the glareshield / longerons completed for the engine mount, and fuel tank straps. The field tank is now installed and connected to the gascolator.

With that done I covered the glareshield with indoor / outdoor carpet and also did the floor of the fuselage.

Scott Meyer
ScottM-Sonex1629

Postby Gripdana » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:28 pm

Your panel and glare shield look sweet.
Dana Baker
Scratch Built
First Flight March 8, 2015
Sonex #1534 - N1534S "Aluminum Foil"
Aerovee-Dual Controls-Tail Dragger
Gripdana

Postby GWMotley » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:35 am

Fuel line in the picture appears to have been flattened at the bend by the firewall. I hope it is just distortion of the picture. But, I think that if it is collapsed, almost all of us would recommend you remake it for improved fuel flow. It's hard to make the bends without use of the appropriate size tube bender to prevent collapse. Just an opinion but otherwise nice work.
Gary Motley
Sonex 1155
Great Plains Force One/Aerovee Hybridized
MGL/ipad panel
First Flight 08/2011
About 670 hours on this plane
GWMotley

Postby ScottM-Sonex1629 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:51 pm

Gary,

Thanks for looking at this and your comments. When I bent the fuel, line, I did use a pair of tubing bending pliers that were sized for this line, it was not hand bent or formed,etc. it's probably just the camera angle. Here is another one that shows the clean (crease free) bend.

Scott Meyer
ScottM-Sonex1629

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Album