anyone near Richmond, VA

For locating temporary hangar space while traveling

anyone near Richmond, VA

Postby Frankart » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:20 pm

Me and my Sonex project are located in Mechanicsville, VA, near Richmond. My wife and I are house shopping but finding a new place with an adequate garage around here is difficult. We've even conceded that point if we could find a place that has enough land and accessibility to that land to allow us to build a second garage, but even then, we're striking out when combined with the rest of our house requirements.
We've shifted gears and talking about building a house now. By the time we buy a house on a large enough lot that would allow for construction of the second garage plus the cost of the actual construction (I'm thinking minimum of $20K and $30K is probably not unreasonable) we will have spent well over $60K just to allow me to have this space...some of which we will recover on resale.

So...I'm starting to reconsider the whole "must have the airplane project at home" mandate. Does anyone here live in my area and have, or know someone who has, hanger or workshop space? I'm willing to pay reasonable rent.

Thanks
Frankart

Re: anyone near Richmond, VA

Postby kmacht » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:37 pm

I have a lot more money tied up in the construction of my garage/shop and all the tools and machines in it. I think what you are missing is that after your plane is done you will still be left with a great shop and tools to do other projects. I live by the motto that you can never have a big enough shop or enough tools.

Keith
kmacht

Re: anyone near Richmond, VA

Postby jack schurr » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:12 am

Take it from someone who is not building at home. You will get your plane built much faster and with less duplication of effort, if you build at home. There are many times when you would be able to spend some time in the shop, if you did not have to hop in your car and drive to your project.
Jack Schurr
120YX
jack schurr

Return to Hangar Space