Which Propeller?

Anything related to props

Which Propeller?

Postby Blank » Wed May 18, 2022 8:54 pm

Hey all. I’m at the point in the build where I need to get a propeller ordered. I’ve got a legacy tail dragger sonex with a gen 2 jabiru 3300. I’m not too interested in waiting a year for the Prince P-Tip or the sensenich. Have any of you heard of the Bolly BOS5 ground adjustable three bladed propeller? It’s a bit pricey at $2389, but that includes a spinner, crush plate and associated mounting hardware for the jab 3300. Have any of you heard about this propeller’s performance?

Thanks.

Craig
Blank

Re: Which Propeller?

Postby markschaible » Thu May 19, 2022 8:13 am

Sensenich lead times are currently around 10 weeks
markschaible

Postby GraemeSmith » Thu May 19, 2022 8:18 am

56" on the BOSS

54" on the P tip.

Gonna lose an 1" of ground clearance in a wheel landing.

That's the only thing I can think of!
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby Scott Todd » Thu May 19, 2022 9:24 am

This topic comes up fairly regular. If you have ever been to the Sonex facility, the decision should be easy for you. There are dozens of props hanging everywhere. When asked why all the props, Jeremy said it was all the ones they had tested thru the years :) They will gladly tell you what has worked best for their airplane/engine combos. Then you just have to decide on color ;)
Scott Todd

Postby Blank » Thu May 19, 2022 4:13 pm

Thanks all! Decisions, decisions...

Craig
Blank

Postby tice@qvation.com » Fri May 20, 2022 9:27 am

I received my sensenich prop for standard aerovee today 38 days after ordering including a special color. At the time of order I was quoted a 4-6 week delivery.
tice@qvation.com

Postby mike.smith » Sat May 21, 2022 10:42 pm

I originally had the ground adjustable Sensenich, and was extremely disappointed with its performance and it's poor use of extremely strippable hex bolts. I had a fixed pitch Sensenich (the one recommended by Sonex), but was disappointed by that one as well (better than the adjustable pitch, though). I went to the Prince P-Tip and have never looked back. My 2 cents.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby peter anson » Sun May 22, 2022 7:40 am

Before buying the Bolly prop,check with Jabiru to see if they recommend it. Jabiru sell a ground adjustable composite prop which I think may even be made by Bolly, but it's fibreglass rather than carbon fibre reinforced. Supposedly more flexible so behaves more like a wooden prop; easier on the crankshaft. I think the Bolly props work well with Rotax engines but my own experience with a Bolly Duralite prop, supposedly designed especially for the Jabiru engine was an expensive failure.

Peter
peter anson

Postby Scott Todd » Sun May 22, 2022 9:37 am

The Prince comes up fairly often. What makes it better? Can anyone post the head-to-head numbers from the same airplane for the same loading and conditions? Has Sonex tested it? What is their input? I don't think Sonex cares what brand people use but they probably want the best performance for their airplanes. These things usually puzzle me. If its better, why isn't everyone running them? Has the word just not got out yet?

Saying one brand headset is better than another is just personal preference. Propellers can be quantified. What are the numbers?
Scott Todd

Postby daleandee » Sun May 22, 2022 1:24 pm

I've seen several comparisons between Sensenich & Price props. In the end most results that showed a small advantage one way or the other could be within the errors of the testing method used.

I've talked with Lonnie Prince. He is a smart man and a wonderful human being. When the American Sonex Association (thank you John Davis) was having their gatherings in Crossville Tn, Lonnie Prince would donate one of hos props to the Association to be raffled off.

But for me ... I've been flying Sensenich props on both of the Sonex aircraft I have owned (over 15 years) and been extremely pleased with them. The Sensenich for my Corvair was recommended by the engine builder as that's what he uses on his aircraft designs.

But we have the freedom to use what works for us on our experimental aircraft!
daleandee

Next

Return to Propellers