Prop advice needed.

Anything related to props

Prop advice needed.

Postby zzdeck » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:46 pm

Have an Aerovee turbo on a legacy Sonex. Who should I buy the prop from, and should it be a climb or a cruise prop.
Thanks in advance for the help.
zzdeck

Re: Prop advice needed.

Postby GraemeSmith » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:53 am

Prince Carbon P tip is an option.

Use the ordering wizard on this page for a recommended prop.

http://www.princeaircraft.com/PriceOrder.aspx

Be aware typical production time is 6 months.....

--

Sensenich is another option but I have no experience with their prop for the AeroVee
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby gammaxy » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:26 am

Here's Sonex's recommendations from Sensenich:

https://www.sonexaircraft.com/propeller-options/

Prince propellers are great, but you'll have to find someone flying with one to vouch for its performance and dimensions.
Chris Madsen
Aerovee Sonex N256CM
Flying since September 2014
Build log: http://chrismadsen.org
gammaxy

Postby Scott Todd » Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:46 am

If you haven't been to Sonex, there are propellers mounted on the walls EVERYWHERE. John said they were all tested on AeroVee's. He recommends the Sensenich. The lengths are obviously the same but the pitch can be different between manufacturers.
Last edited by Scott Todd on Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Todd

Postby zzdeck » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:12 am

Thanks for the manufacturer advice! Now what are y’all running, cruise or climb props
zzdeck

Postby GraemeSmith » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:07 pm

zzdeck wrote:Thanks for the manufacturer advice! Now what are y’all running, cruise or climb props

Prince Wood Carbon P-Tip 54” diameter x 44” pitch gets me AeroVee recommended 3,100 RPM static at a standard day. It's not a "climb" or a "cruise" - it's what it is. :-)
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby gammaxy » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:30 pm

I believe zzdeck is asking about the correct propeller for the Turbo. Sonex lists 54x50 Climb and 56x52 Cruise. Personally, I'd probably choose the climb prop, but I'd really want to hear what others who've flown that combination think.
Chris Madsen
Aerovee Sonex N256CM
Flying since September 2014
Build log: http://chrismadsen.org
gammaxy

Postby GraemeSmith » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:02 pm

gammaxy wrote:I believe zzdeck is asking about the correct propeller for the Turbo. Sonex lists 54x50 Climb and 56x52 Cruise. Personally, I'd probably choose the climb prop, but I'd really want to hear what others who've flown that combination think.

I know the Prince selection wizard will bring up a different prop for the AeroVee Turbo.
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Postby zzdeck » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:09 am

Yes grammaxy, I am specifically asking about a prop for the Aerovee Turbo. Sonex lists two recommended props, one a cruise prop and the other a climb prop. And Sonex’s FAQ states that Sonex leans toward the climb prop. What I’m requesting is feedback from Aerovee Turbo builder/pilots as to their experience and preferences with climb versus cruise props. Right now I’m thinking climb. Anyone think that is the wrong decision?
zzdeck

Postby pfhoeycfi » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:07 pm

zzdeck wrote:Yes grammaxy, I am specifically asking about a prop for the Aerovee Turbo. Sonex lists two recommended props, one a cruise prop and the other a climb prop. And Sonex’s FAQ states that Sonex leans toward the climb prop. What I’m requesting is feedback from Aerovee Turbo builder/pilots as to their experience and preferences with climb versus cruise props. Right now I’m thinking climb. Anyone think that is the wrong decision?

...I signed on to ask the very same question and yours was on top. I too am ready for a prop and wondering if anyone has any insight as to the difference between the cruise and climb props for the turbo aerovee. My gut tells me go with the climb prop.
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Next

Return to Propellers