Prop advice needed.

Anything related to props

Re: Prop advice needed.

Postby pappas » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:27 pm

After testing, on my turbo, a Sensenich climb 54x50, cruise 56x52, Prince P-tip cruise 54x50, and Ed Sterba hybrid climb/cruise 54x52 props, I have come to the conclusion that Sonex knows what they are talking about.

I am flying behind a Sensenich composite-covered wood prop suggested by Sonex at 56x52. However, my personal experience is that I would be equally happy with the Prince P-tip 54x50 cruise. I live in Phoenix and still get about 800 fpm in the desert heat. Better in the, very cold, winter here at 70 degrees.

If I want better climb than the Sensenich, I have the Sterba in the hangar. But I fly off of a 7000-foot runway and am satisfied with pretty much leaving the one prop on it.
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A (Building)
Waiex B Turbo
RV-8
Waiex Legacy 3300
Hiperlight SNS-9
Falcon Ultralight[/b]
pappas

Postby pfhoeycfi » Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:58 am

pappas wrote:After testing, on my turbo, a Sensenich climb 54x50, cruise 56x52, Prince P-tip cruise 54x50, and Ed Sterba hybrid climb/cruise 54x52 props, I have come to the conclusion that Sonex knows what they are talking about.

I am flying behind a Sensenich composite-covered wood prop suggested by Sonex at 56x52. However, my personal experience is that I would be equally happy with the Prince P-tip 54x50 cruise. I live in Phoenix and still get about 800 fpm in the desert heat. Better in the, very cold, winter here at 70 degrees.

If I want better climb than the Sensenich, I have the Sterba in the hangar. But I fly off of a 7000-foot runway and am satisfied with pretty much leaving the one prop on it.

What are your thoughts on the Sensenich climb prop offered by Sonex? I'll be flying out of KDYL that is 3000" hard surface and 3PA2 that is shorter and turf.

peter
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Postby OneTallShort » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:59 pm

So my choice was for the Sonex climb prop. My logic is that the turbo runs better and faster at altitude. But you have to get up there first. For most short flights, pattern work, aerobatics, climb is better and more fun. So if you want to go fast, go high.
That said I haven't flow yet behind my choice, but that's why I bought my prop.
OneTallShort

Postby zzdeck » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:00 pm

Thanks to all who replied. I've decided to convince my partner that a composite Senserich, climb prop, is the way to go.

I think there is a bigger chance I'd regret getting a cruise prop than regret getting a climb prop. And wasn't minimizing regret something that was covered in an engineering decision making class I took years ago??? Memory too far gone to remember for sure.
zzdeck

Postby Spaceman » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:22 pm

GraemeSmith wrote:Prince Carbon P tip is an option.

Be aware typical production time is 6 months.....

10.5 months and counting here............... :/
Chris Paegelow
N21YX / Waiex-B #21 / Roseville, CA
http://paegelow.blogspot.com/
Spaceman

Postby pappas » Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:18 pm

Peter,

I have about 8 hours of testing the Sensenich recommended climb prop. It works great and 3000 feet of runway is probably 2400 feet more than you will need, but use it all anyway!

I just like flying higher and faster. The cruise prop still climbs just fine, even in the Phoenix heat. I just keep it in ground effect until I get to 70 mph before pulling back on the stick in the summer. Winter is no problem. With the climb prop, I rotate at 60 and climb immediately.
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A (Building)
Waiex B Turbo
RV-8
Waiex Legacy 3300
Hiperlight SNS-9
Falcon Ultralight[/b]
pappas

Previous

Return to Propellers