Airmaster

Anything related to props

Re: Airmaster

Postby Skippydiesel » Wed May 01, 2024 2:25 am

Spinner would seem to be 9 in, or more likely 9.5 in.
W&B good (no prop extension). Original builder changed the main wing/horizontal stab angle of attack/incidence by up 1.5 degrees - this may be reflected in the need for a small amount of up elevator in cruise, other than when I have a load in the baggage compartment.
I purchased my Sonex Legacy/Rotax 912ULS, as an almost completed plans built (10 year build). Took another 12 months of intensive work (I am retired) to get it into the air and then another 12 months to get things , like the oil cooling/engine movement right. I think we are "all good" now.
The aircraft came with a new Rotax engine, Airmaster prop & Dynon avionics, all of which I fitted.
The prop is an Airmaster CS/Whirlwind 3 blade, Model: AP332 SCTFH, Blade type: WWR64W (this is a 64 in).
I's fully feathering - so far have not assessed its potential for better glide.
The unit comes pre-programed (in this case for the Rotax 912ULS) TO/Climb/Cruise. The owner can adjust the Auto Mode programing however I find the factory settings to be acceptable. NOTE: There is a Manual override that the pilot can use at any time.
My Sonex is approaching 80 hrs total

Airmaster have been great, answering all my fool questions. Their response to the one & only problem - a grease leak. Apparently they had a batch of hubs very slightly over machined where the blade root "O" ring goes. The solution - slightly "fatter" O rings supplied free of charge. So far (about 4 hr after fitting) no grease leakage.

Yes I am happy with the Airmaster. The fit & finish is excellent. The handbook a bit too comprehensive (blows my puny mind).

My Sonex gets off the ground in under 100 m, on grass. Climbs with, full fuel at well over 1500 ft/min. High speed cruise, 5450 RPM is 147 Knots indicated (about 152 Knots True) at 5500 ft. I usually cruise at 130 Knots, for a fuel burn of a little over 15L/hr.

I have yet to do a dynamic balance on the prop - difficult to find a service provider or someone to lend a DynaVibe - hope to fix this within the next 10 days.

When I researched CS props for small aircraft a few years ago, some of the possible negatives were;
Airmaster was second only, to MT, in cost.
Possibly the heaviest - countering this is no TBO limit or periodic return to factory

I think you will find that most knowledgeable aviators would suggest, that fitting a CS prop, to small aircraft like the Sonex, is hard to justify, from a cost benefit point of view. No one denies the flexibility that a CS delivers - short ground roll, great climb out and a possible modest increase in cruise. It should be pointed out that a much lighter/simpler/cheaper ground adjustable prop, will likely achieve all these performance goals, but just not on the one flight.
Skippydiesel

Previous

Return to Propellers