Continuous Prop Balancing

Anything related to props

Continuous Prop Balancing

Postby GraemeSmith » Thu May 27, 2021 7:21 am

Interesting solution to continuously and dynamically balancing props - using modified truck wheel balancers.

Though not yet on the market - it appears that the manufacturer is Experimenting with them:

https://www.centramatic.com/aviation-pl ... cers.rhtml

And a video showing how it works:

https://www.centramatic.com/how-centram ... work.rhtml
Graeme JW Smith
GraemeSmith

Re: Continuous Prop Balancing

Postby vhhomer » Thu May 27, 2021 8:39 am

I first saw one of these for car wheels in the early 1950's so they have been around for a while. We just put one on a Jabiru 3300 and it seems to work. There's a guy in our EAA chapter with an electronic prop balancing instrument that we are going to try on the unit to see how it's actually doing at balancing the prop.

Vince Homer
vhhomer

Postby BRS » Thu May 27, 2021 10:58 am

That demo video is great. Basically, it's like installing beads in your tire instead of putting static lead weights on the rim. I've seen a device like this on an RV-4 once. Seems they were made for a bit then discontinued. Glad someone is reviving the device.
-Brock
Sonex-A (s/n 1013)
R2300, P-tip 54/50
Center Stick
V16, TT22
BRS

Postby Area 51% » Fri May 28, 2021 11:49 am

There is something similar going on inside the drum of our front-loading washing machine. Turn the drum by hand and you can hear the media moving.

If they can keep wet towels from destroying a washing machine, seems a simple task to balance a tire or prop.
Area 51%

Postby 142YX » Sun May 30, 2021 2:33 pm

vhhomer wrote:I first saw one of these for car wheels in the early 1950's so they have been around for a while. We just put one on a Jabiru 3300 and it seems to work. There's a guy in our EAA chapter with an electronic prop balancing instrument that we are going to try on the unit to see how it's actually doing at balancing the prop.

Vince Homer

Any idea what the part number was for the one used on the Jabiru 3300? would like to try that myself..
Waiex # 142 - Taildragger, Jabiru 3300
First Flight - July 13th, 2015
450 hours and counting..
142YX

Postby Skippydiesel » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:02 pm

"Balance Master" has been around for years:

http://www.balancemasters.com/aircraft.html

The people who use them, tend toward those who are "anal" about static/dynamic balancing (myself) so the benefits are hard to quantify. In my case, I fitted one for that "just in case" situation where my prop gets a big stone chip and goes out of balance - the idea being I will still get home with minimal/nil vibration.
Skippydiesel

Postby sjakulski » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:46 am

vhhomer wrote:I first saw one of these for car wheels in the early 1950's so they have been around for a while. We just put one on a Jabiru 3300 and it seems to work. There's a guy in our EAA chapter with an electronic prop balancing instrument that we are going to try on the unit to see how it's actually doing at balancing the prop.

Vince Homer

Yep, tried those back in the 60’s. Worked as well as putting a magnet on the fuel line to atomize the fuel molecules for more power. lol
sjakulski

Return to Propellers