Borrow A Sensenich Prop?

Anything related to props

Borrow A Sensenich Prop?

Postby NWade » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:21 pm

Hello All,

As I continue trying to figure out my AeroVee Turbo boost situation, I am trying to eliminate every variable. And that means looking at a Sensenich Prop instead of my Prince (yes, even if I don't think it'll make much of a difference).

The Sonex community is full of some wonderful folks, and I'm wondering if anyone has a Sensenich laying around that's the appropriate/recommended spec for an AeroVee Turbo? I would be happy to pay for getting it packaged and shipped from your location to mine (and back), so that I can use it for a brief ~10 minute test on my engine. I would exercise the utmost care for the unit, and am happy pay for shipping insurance. I will also pledge to pick up your bar tab, at a future Oshkosh meetup (or other fly-in)! :-)

I am located in the Seattle, WA area.

Your help would be sincerely appreciated!

Thank you,

--Noel
Sonex #1339
NWade

Re: Borrow A Sensenich Prop?

Postby bakerde36 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:17 pm

What size prop are you needing?
Densil Baker
Sonex 1578, Tailwheel
Hummel 2400, Prince Ptip 54x50
bakerde36

Postby pappas » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:04 pm

I would also like to test a Sensenich 56x52 prop for my turbo. I am in the process of changing out my Sterba for a higher cruise prop. If anyone has one laying around, I would happily pay for shipping both ways. A friend is already lending me a Prince p-tip 54x50 , what a great guy. Those are the only 2 props I am considering as replacements.

Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A (Building)
Waiex B Turbo
RV-8
Waiex Legacy 3300
Hiperlight SNS-9
Falcon Ultralight[/b]
pappas

Postby Brett » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:14 pm

If it helps, when I ran the Aerovee turbo and recommended cruise prop it worked as per published specs on the Sonex web site..
Sonex 1645
VH-VWS
Tailwheel
Former Aerovee Turbo
Rotax 912
Brett

Postby builderflyer » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:44 am

A real plus in using a Prince prop on your aircraft is that Lonnie Prince will send you as many of his props, within reason, to test until you find the one you want to keep. For example, I tested 4 different props of his before I arrived at the one that best satisfied my criteriai. I'm not aware of another company who would do that for a customer but Lonnie's goal is that a customer be satisfied. Also, although my experience with Sensenich props for my Sonex is in the distant past, quality control was definitely an issue at that time.

For whatever it's worth,

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby pappas » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:32 pm

Thanks for the input. All good info. I ran a Jab 3300 and the recommended Sensenich prop on my last Waiex in 2007. That plane performed well and I always planned for 161 mph at 5.9 gph. WOT was 186 mph at 3500 msl but the fuel burn was 9gph, so not really where you want to be with a 16-gallon tank. That prop developed a few slight bubbles in the carbon fiber near the hub but not enough to bother me.

I'm still looking for a loaner Sensenich 56x52 and will publish all the data I get from the different props here on the forum. I suspect others will find it useful.

Lou Pappas
Waiex B turbo and others
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A (Building)
Waiex B Turbo
RV-8
Waiex Legacy 3300
Hiperlight SNS-9
Falcon Ultralight[/b]
pappas

Postby builderflyer » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:44 am

pappas wrote: I ran a Jab 3300 and the recommended Sensenich prop on my last Waiex in 2007. That plane performed well and I always planned for 161 mph at 5.9 gph. WOT was 186 mph at 3500 msl but the fuel burn was 9gph,

Lou Pappas
Waiex B turbo and others

Lou, those numbers are astounding. I really would like to know what your secret was in getting that kind of performance. I've tested 6 different propellers on my Sonex and have never seen anything close to your numbers after calibrating the pitot-static system........only before calibrating the system. Were you able to confirm those speeds with GPS ? If so, you must have had one of the fastest Sonex products out there.

Art,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sonex taildragger #95,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jabiru 3300 #261
builderflyer

Postby pappas » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:22 pm

That was my first Waiex. I followed the plans during building plus glassed-in some cowl to gear leg fairings. It was 75 pounds lighter than my current Waiex and rigged well. I was running a Dynon D180 with a Dynon AOA pitot which my friendly A&P calibrated for me. I never tried any other prop than the Sensenich cruise that Sonex sold.

Yeah, it was fast. So fast that I had the words " Worlds Fastest Waiex" on both sides of the turtle deck! (Now, I know that was true because, at the time I hit 186 mph in level flight, it was the first and only 3300 powered Waiex being flown).

Normally, I managed that motor by fuel flow. I did not want to see 6 gph, (am I cheap?), so I would lean to 5.9 and accept whatever cruise speed I got. I do regularly fly above 5,000 msl. Those speeds were consistent with my gps readings at the time as well. Some days and altitudes a little slower, some days a little faster. I thought all 3300 Sonex taildraggers were that fast. Go figure?

My current Waiex with the Aerovee turbo and current prop is nowhere near that fast while keeping the fuel burn below 6. So far the fastest I have been able to get it going straight and level is 160 mph at 39.3 inches at 4500 ft burning 9.4. Not how I would regularly fly it. But I am working on fairing it up and testing a couple of props. I know I have the wrong prop on it. I mis-ordered the Sterba. It should have been a 56 x 52 and I ordered a 54 x 52. Hence the experimenting!
Lou Pappas
Phoenix, AZ
RV-7A (Building)
Waiex B Turbo
RV-8
Waiex Legacy 3300
Hiperlight SNS-9
Falcon Ultralight[/b]
pappas

Return to Propellers