prop nuts

Anything related to props

prop nuts

Postby Johns » Mon May 25, 2015 2:33 pm

Hi Guys, newby here, looking at the prop bolts I noticed there is no safety wire on the nuts. Is this how they all are? Seems to be only nylock (spelling) nuts on there.
Also can they be used over or should new ones be used?

John
Johns

Re: prop nuts

Postby Sonex1462 » Mon May 25, 2015 8:18 pm

I have the Aerovee with the Sensenich propeller. Drawing SNX-P30 calls out that type of nuts for my installation.
John Stewart
Sonex 1462
Kit, Aerovee, Tri Gear, ST Controls

Sonex1462

Postby radfordc » Thu May 28, 2015 10:24 am

Johns wrote:Hi Guys, newby here, looking at the prop bolts I noticed there is no safety wire on the nuts. Is this how they all are? Seems to be only nylock (spelling) nuts on there.
Also can they be used over or should new ones be used?

John

You can replace the nylock nuts with castle nuts if your bolts have the hole for safety wire. The nylock nuts can be reused, but should be replaced if they show any sign of reduced tightness. They are cheap!
radfordc

Postby Johns » Thu May 28, 2015 6:18 pm

Thanks for the replies, going to get some new nylock nuts.

John
Johns

Postby radfordc » Fri May 29, 2015 3:22 pm

When you set the torque on the prop bolts you have to add the "run on" torque for the nuts to the value specified by the prop maker. Nylocks require a significant amount of torque just to get them to run onto the bolt. Put a bolt in a vise and check to see how much torque is needed to turn the nut. Add this value to the specified amount of torque required for the prop bolts.
radfordc

Postby Johns » Fri May 29, 2015 6:13 pm

radfordc wrote:When you set the torque on the prop bolts you have to add the "run on" torque for the nuts to the value specified by the prop maker. Nylocks require a significant amount of torque just to get them to run onto the bolt. Put a bolt in a vise and check to see how much torque is needed to turn the nut. Add this value to the specified amount of torque required for the prop bolts.

I did see that on the instructions. Thanks, John
Johns

Return to Propellers