Yahoo groups

For non Aviation related discussions.

Yahoo groups

Postby rizzz » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:54 pm

Well, I did not think it was possible but they managed to make the Yahoo groups even worse than they already were.
Complete chaos now!
And oh BTW, I know the search engine in the old yahoo groups was far from good but it seems to be completely missing now, maybe I'm just not finding it, maybe I need a search engine to find the search engine...
Why, do people keep using those groups, me not understand…
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Re: Yahoo groups

Postby fastj22 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:58 am

There was a lot of room for improvement from the old Yahoo forum format, unfortunately the NEO format is not one of them.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:26 am

I've tried to post several replies to questions and can never get it to work. Yeah, it's pretty terrible.
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby vigilant104 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:41 pm

The Yahoo groups have always been stuck in 1982 and lack the functionality of a real, modern forum. While "Sonextalk" continues along due to user inertia, I'm surprised Sonex LLC doesn't take steps to transition "Sonexplans" and the other groups they control to a more modern format. Any discussion groups that stay on Yahoo will be remain vulnerable to whatever crazy decisions Yahoo makes in the future--the NEO disaster is mild compared to some possibilities--sometimes companies just abandon their forums and the users are left to start new ones without any ability to save/archive/transition the old content. It could happen any time Yahoo decides to do it, just as other companies have done.
Mark Waldron
Sonex 1230 (Builder: Jay Gibbs)
Aerovee, Trigear
vigilant104

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:08 pm

I agree with Mark 100%. I find the new format nearly impossible to use. Hopefully a lot of people will decide to "jump ship" and head over here! I've always liked this format better anyway...
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby rizzz » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:35 pm

I'm hoping my forum, www.vwaircraftengines.com, gets a bit of a boost from this again,
Had good participation initially but in the end everybody went back to the old yahoo groups, I really don't understand what people find so good about those groups...
Michael
rizzz

Postby n982sx » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:09 am

" I really don't understand what people find so good about those groups..."

It's simple, I only participate in groups that I can use via email. I registered here today just to see how this place was doing. I wish you all well, but I won't be here often. I have no interface issues with yahoo, because I never go to yahoo.

The same for my groups on google. I do it all from email.
Bob Meyers

Built and Flying Sonex N982SX http://n982sx.com
Built and Flying RV-14 N626KM http://n626km.com
n982sx

Postby rizzz » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:12 am

n982sx wrote:" I really don't understand what people find so good about those groups..."

It's simple, I only participate in groups that I can use via email. I registered here today just to see how this place was doing. I wish you all well, but I won't be here often. I have no interface issues with yahoo, because I never go to yahoo.

The same for my groups on google. I do it all from email.

That has been the reason many people have given me but then the question becomes, why do you prefer email? Reading/writing an email is just as easy as reading/writing something in a forum.

But lets say you run into an issue in your project an you know you saw a discussion on that topic in the sonextalk group going in and out of your email inbox a while ago, but at the time you ignored the discussion as it was not relevant to your project at that point in time.
Now suddenly it is and you vaguely remember somebody saying something you'd really like to re-read so you want to go back and find that discussion, the only way to do that then is if you keep every single email coming from the yahoo group in the first place and the sort/group them in a way you'll be able to easily search through them at a later point in time?
Michael
rizzz

Postby vigilant104 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:54 am

While I find it easier to just come here and log on than to get a raft of emails, some folks choose to do things differently. And, If you've got limited bandwidth then I can see the advantages of email. It's possible that the software used by this forum ( "phpBB") or the other main competitor software (vBulletin), or another bit of forum software ("phorum", etc or an already existing hack/modification to one of these programs) can do the send/receive email functions for those users that want it. That way, everyone could still have the advantages of a web-based forum, those who want to stick to emails could do it, and we'd all be free of the imposition of new "good ideas" from Yahoo (or Google).
Mark Waldron
Sonex 1230 (Builder: Jay Gibbs)
Aerovee, Trigear
vigilant104

Postby n982sx » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:13 pm

What I have never understood was why people like sites setup like this one. I access all my many groups from one central location. The other side of the coin.

My email program sorts and stores all my messages automatically for me. Very simple rules that any novice can set up.

They are stored on my machine and can be searched quite quickly, faster than any web host. I have every email from the sonex group sites since I joined in 2006. People have complained about the yahoo search function for years but I have never even used it once.

Some forums like Aeroelectric let you attach pictures easily. The MGL site uses the same software as this site I think, but has an email interface as well.

The greatest thing about email is I never have to do anything to find out if there are new posts. They just show up, and I respond. Works flawlessly. Some groups I get individual emails, some I get daily digests, it all depends on how quickly and how many emails they generate.

I think people should go where it is best for them. I will stop in now and then, but I have found that for sites I have to access through my browser, I will eventually stop checking in and forget about it.

Bob Meyers
Sonex N982SX
Bob Meyers

Built and Flying Sonex N982SX http://n982sx.com
Built and Flying RV-14 N626KM http://n626km.com
n982sx

Next

Return to Off Topic