FAA_FSDO

For non Aviation related discussions.

FAA_FSDO

Postby Klimek » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:55 am

Ladies and Gentlemen,
I would like to comment on my last contact with the FAA.
Last week I attempted to make an appointment with the Little Rock, Ar. FSDO to obtain my Repairman's Certificate for my Onex. I called and the receptionist
and she very nicely told me Bill Aldrich and John Gruber were both out of the office until Monday and I could leave a message, which I did.
On Monday morning 4/24 at 8:12 am my phone rang and it was Bill Aldrich, on who's phone I had left a message. I explained my time crunch with getting my wife
moved back to Arkansas and our home sold in Houston, I would be leaving for Texas and had no idea when I'd be back in Arkansas.
With a full schedule that day, 3 weeks of paperwork to catch up on and training the remainder of the week, he asked me if I could be there at 1:00 pm that day.
I was glad that he could work me in and I headed to Little Rock. 3 hours later I was there and he took his lunch hour to process my paperwork and some time just
chew the fat about airplanes and flying. I also met a former water bomber pilot who now works at the FSDO. Very interesting young man also very nice.
I had previously talked with Bill and his co-worker, John, about other topics and both were extremely helpful. Another FAA safety inspector, Carl C. Thomas, FSDO SW09, who I met during a ramp check of my ONEX in the Houston area, was also very nice and personable. He gave me his business card and told me to call if I ever needed anything while in the area. He even commented on my plane and thanked me for letting him "look it over". I asked him if he had ever heard the saying about, where he took over and said......
Yeah, yeah, yeah, "We ain't happy till you ain't happy". We're not that way in the Houston office 'cause Texas is like a whole nother country.
I guess life is like a box of chocolate's, you never know what you'll get. I really did not know what to expect in either of the contacts so, I was pleasantly surprised.
Thanks to all these guys.
Frank B. Klimek
ONEX 090
N1970T
Klimek

Re: FAA_FSDO

Postby Onex114 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:22 am

I also had the same cooperative experience with Aaron DeVogel, FSDO office out of Nashville. Could not have asked for any better service.

Stan Hohulin
Onex 114
Aerovee, GRT EIS & EFIS, MGL V6 comm, Trike, individual heel brakes, N251X. First Flight 11-27-2015
Onex114

Postby kmacht » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:44 am

Don't remember the guys name but had a very positive experience when getting my repairmans certificate at the Bradley FSDO in CT. Very easy open conversation and he had all the paperwork pre-filled out ready to sign before I even got there. He said that the biggest problem they have is with builders just buying an engine and not knowing how to maintain or repair it. The repairmans certificate doesn't differentiate between the airframe and engine. You have to be able to maintain the whole plane. Not a problem if you built up your own aerovee.

Keith
kmacht

Postby Sonex1517 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:55 am

I have to add my experience with the DuPage FSDO. When I got my inspection last October it was an easy application and inspection process. I was prepared for some challenges and found it to be a great experience.

My repairman certificate was issued with the inspection and the official copy arrived soon after.

Later on an additional follow up contact I had another easy, great experience with a different inspector.
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby ScottM-Sonex1629 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:29 pm

Wow what a great thread of "positive" experiences!

I must also say so far, my dealings with the Columbus FSDO have been great! Mike Farley recommend I call before sending anything by mail, and that alone has saved me tons of time. Dealt with a Tech via phone last Friday, which he recommended to email all documents to them for review! I received a follow up email back from him that same day, approving my paperwork, and letting me know an ASI would contact soon. Well Monday morning I was called by a somewhat unique ASI who liked to talk, but was also very helpful, and recommended to make a Few changes to my "make" i.e. Builder name (first name first instead of last name first)...revise the documents and email these to him with a few dates in mind for my inspection. Just got a confirmation email from him that my inspection is scheduled for May 18th, and he also approved my paperwork, just need to bring all originals to hangar day of inspection.

So maybe there are some decent people working for the FAA?
Scott Meyer
Sonex 1629 - Sold...9/2019
ScottM-Sonex1629

Postby kevinh » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:30 pm

Yep, I too had a great experience with my FSDO (Oakland CA) when I built my RV7. Things I liked:

1. They were super responsive when I originally scheduled the visit
  2. They sent out two guys to look over the plane (mainly I think because visiting homebuilts is more interesting than another visit to United maintenence :D ). They looked over the plane pretty thoroughly and then said, "you made a nice plane. We're quite happy to sign it off."
  3. They gave me a very flexible test area (essentially most of northern CA but excluding urban developments.
  4. No DAR fee.

People like to complain about government but so far (knock on wood ;-)) every interaction with the FAA has been great.
Taildragger Waiex in progress, tail done, wings done, about to mate wings to fuse,
then cowl, canopy, paint (photos): flush rivets, turbo aerovee, acro ailerons
(I built my RV7A and happily flew it for about 500 hrs)
kevinh

Postby Sonex1517 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:27 pm

...I should add...

Based on personal experience, conversations, and interactions....it would also appear our forum (and many others) are definitely visited by people other than builders and owners.....

Just sayin'
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby Ercoupechris » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:39 pm

I have had a great relationship with the Dulles FSDO in Virginia and have obtained several field approvals for my certificated aircraft and everything went smooth. If you approach them intelligently with command of the facts and your position, they will usually find a way to get you over the hurdle. I have had numerous conversations with A&Ps about field approvals and they all made it sound impossible. NOTHING is impossible if you are prepared.

Best,
Chris Schuldt
703-928-5199
BRM Aero Bristell NG-5
"B" model Conversion Waiex s/n 64 4th owner, kit from 2007
Edge Performance 915-ECi 120 HP EFI with Ring Mount
Rotax iRMT Service
Rotax iRMT Maintenance
Rotax iRMT Heavy Maintenance
Ercoupechris

Postby ihab » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:42 pm

kevinh wrote:I too had a great experience with my FSDO (Oakland CA) when I built my RV7.

Many years ago, my family and I were going to the Oakland Aviation Museum; by coincidence, it was when the FSDO was moving from the building just adjacent, and they were taking stuff out. We chatted with them briefly, and a dude from there bequeathed to me his framed poster of the B-2 Spirit bomber prototype in flight. He was an engineer on the project.

Ihab
Ihab Awad, San Jose, CA
ihab

Postby achesos » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:34 pm

I'll chime in too with positive feedback and the level of cooperation I was given for my very recent (last Friday) airworthiness certification and repairman's certificate - each of my phone calls with the Milwaukee FSDO was polite and professional. My ping pong paperwork with Olkahoma City was ALL my fault, but they were patient and provided excellent guidance towards success.
Connie Martin from Milwaukee was professional, thorough, and patient during my inspection. She also helped me stay calm as we worked through observations and provided constructive criticism where appropriate. I remain thankful.
I will no longer avoid people in pink shirts at KOSH. Which reminds me - I need to call Joe Norris to get signed up for transition training...
Build carefully, Fly safely.
Sonex N857SX
AeroVee, Taildragger, Dual Stick
achesos

Next

Return to Off Topic