CASA in AU Senate re Jabiru engines

For non Aviation related discussions.

CASA in AU Senate re Jabiru engines

Postby ihab » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:20 pm

I came across this YT video through other groups and figured it might be of interest here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPyTIbuvLI8

Posting under "Off Topic" because I don't want to spam the technical forums. The most useful part to me was where the Senator from Queensland asks, "What were the findings?", and the CASA reps respond, starting at 7:53:

https://youtu.be/YPyTIbuvLI8?t=473

I hope this informs. Kind regards,

Ihab
Ihab Awad, San Jose, CA
ihab

Re: CASA in AU Senate re Jabiru engines

Postby Concorde » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:58 am

Thanks for sharing Ihab. Very interesting.
Ben
Sonex # 1684
Tri-Gear, Dual Control
Rotax 912uls
N379BS reserved.
Concorde

Postby andrewp » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:57 pm

I watched that and it was awesome. CASA is, alas, embarrassing. If you don't like the FAA, you would really hate CASA. Wish it wasn't so.
andrewp

Postby aferddaberts » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:14 pm

Hello Andrewp

So did that information from AU change your mind regarding the Jabiru ? It sure has me thinking, I have been inquiring about the Viking, so far it looks like a good alternative at about half the price. What do you think ?

AL Roberts
aferddaberts

Postby SonexN76ET » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:55 pm

Al,

My take on this is that CASA, the Australian's FAA equivalent, has done Jabiru a disservice. CASA has consistently beat up on Jabiru for a small range of years of their engine with the early hydraulic lifters and smaller thru bolts, and not looked at the improved longetivity and reliability of the improved Jabiru engines.

The CASA, by the way, has mandated that all "Technical Bulletins" on Cessna aircraft be carried out in order to stay airworthy. The "Technical Bulletins" are considered optional in the U.S. This has effectively grounded all Cessnas in Australia older than 20 years.

CASA has also made numerous claims on other aircraft that have not been substantiated elsewhere and have proven to be controversial at best.

Jake
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby phenry » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:14 pm

I think that CASA have been justified in taking the action they have, on my airfield alone there have been an number of engine failures resulting in forced landings etc.
Jabiru for their part have tried very hard to avoid any responsibility for the issues experienced. In fact they seem to have in my opinion relished the extra money they have made replacing the faulty / damaged parts required to repair the issues. All the while blaming the owners for their inability to maintain their engines adequately.

The Senators response is typical of a political response from a local representative after pressure from Jabiru to get the regulatory dogs off their back.
Peter Henry
W#149
phenry

Postby DCASonex » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:18 am

Jabiru does not get any sympathy from me either, not after they completely failed to even respond to my still-under-warranty engine problems, and evidence of making design changes when they just did not know what they were doing. However, it does appear they are trying to improve, at least in customer communications. Still see things in their manual that are problematic. Do have sympathy for owners of certified aircraft that are getting soaked for very expensive upgrades and modifications which our FAA does not require.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby Concorde » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:38 am

phenry wrote:I think that CASA have been justified in taking the action they have, on my airfield alone there have been an number of engine failures resulting in forced landings etc.
Jabiru for their part have tried very hard to avoid any responsibility for the issues experienced. In fact they seem to have in my opinion relished the extra money they have made replacing the faulty / damaged parts required to repair the issues. All the while blaming the owners for their inability to maintain their engines adequately.

The Senators response is typical of a political response from a local representative after pressure from Jabiru to get the regulatory dogs off their back.

Do you know the total number of Jabiru engine failures ?
Ben
Sonex # 1684
Tri-Gear, Dual Control
Rotax 912uls
N379BS reserved.
Concorde

Postby andrewp » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:47 am

Does it change my mind? No - Jabiru is a flying collection of problems. Having said that, I have one at the front of the my Sonex and it has been fine (so far). So far it has been a lot less troublesome than the engine in the front of another airplane we look after. The engine has to be well instrumented and flown with great regard to temps.

CASA choking and starving them gains us nothing.
andrewp

Postby andrewp » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:49 am

And don't get me started on Cessna SIDS. That says it all.
andrewp

Next

Return to Off Topic